1 week post OP Bunionectomy, and hammertoe correction

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all I am new here I am a week post OP having a hallux valgus Chevron osteotomy and hammertoe correction I realize he had to cut through nerves etc... but at night when I try to sleep my foot wakes me up feeling so numb that it burns and only have it at night anyone else? if so why and can I do anything to prevent it

thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had my surgery 10 months ago and I will never forget how bad that feeling was. BURNING, numb cold pain so bad I was convinced my foot was damaged for life. I lost feeling slightly between the first and middle toe but very minor. The pain your describing lasted 5-6 weeks for me. It does get better over time. Keep the foot elevated and with ice when needed. It takes a long time to heal, my foot still randomly swells but is getting better everyday. My surgeon said it takes a full year to recover.

• Posted

Hello I had that same surgery 2016 what is happening is the healing of the nerves it takes awahile I you a speedy recovery

• Posted

it'll be the nerves repairing themselves...

i've had 5 foot operations and remember to well the feeling....

I kept up with taking paracetomol and ibuprofen for the first 2 weeks and

elevated my foot for the best part of the day...

Remember your foot has had a bit a battering but the feeling will pass.

• Posted

Thanks guys for your input I am just so frustrated with it I am exhausted and cant sleep for more than an hour at a time because of this burning sensation it almost feels like it is asleep and so numb it hurts!

• Posted

Hello...I'm two weeks out and just had my stitches remove on Friday...I too experince the burning and numbness and tingling also..So I call my doctor and he sent in a prescription of Neurotin for that...He also told me the reason why I was having the issues is because I had a ankle block and some people get nerve damage after having the block...The meds work but for me I couldnt take it long because I was getting sick off...But your feet will start too feel better each and everyday...I have been weight bearing for a week but can only walk on my heels and outer edge of my op shoe....My doctor also said I can now get my foot wet but can't stand so I went out and brought a new shower head with a long cord where I can sit in the bathtub and shower that way...Its a little weird but it works better then bird baths...Just continue too elevate your feet and I time your start too feel like a normal person...Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.