1 Week Post Op Pain after TKR

Posted , 19 users are following.

So it has been 10 days since my tkr and the pain and healing process has been allot more than I had expected. I have definitely had some excruciating moments when I have not stayed ontop of the pain and waited a little too long to take my meds. I was given oxycodone 5mg (50) take 1-2 every 4-6 hours for pain. I have found that taking 2 every 4 hours has really made the pain "manageable". So with this quantity I ran out after 5 days. When I called my Dr to get a refill they were very hesitant to give me any more meds!! After crying on the phone to them they agreed to refill only 1 more time another 50 and after that no more! So I'm wondering is this normal to be off pain meds 2 weeks after a tkr?? Iv tried to stretch the length of taking them up to 5 hours buts it's not easy. I'm extremely upset looking forward to the pain when these meds are gone? Has anyone else had this issue?

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi J, I am nine weeks post op and yes it has been a long journey with some very tough days at the start but it does get better. The one thing at the start is to stay on top of your pain meds. You only got oxycodone, when I came home i was on oxycodone too but also co-codamol30/500 diclofenac, amitriplyne and another one which i came off very soon. I was on oxyxodone before the op so my dr wanted me off it first which I did and was off it 3 weeks post op, i gradually have reduced the co-codamol and since about 5 weeks take 2-4 a day and 1or 2 ipbrufen. You need to be on meds especially to help sleep(or lack of as you will or may have found) and to make the physio a liitle bearable. Speak to your dr of ring the hospital and see what they say. I hope you get sorted, keep us posted
  • Posted

No you should take them as long as you need them I am 8 weeks op and still taking medication not as much as in the beginning but have not had an issue getting them
    • Posted

I was given oxycodone also after surgery. It was prescribed 1-2 every 4-6 hrs. The # of pills given if take the way prescribed didn't last until next scrip could be filled. Which I didn't take as needed for fear of running out. My Dr filled my scripts without issues when they were due. I'm 8 weeks po and am off the oxy for a week. Feeling much better. I no part of sleep issues is because of the pain meds. So you can imagine how disappointed I am with that sleep has not improved. I do take Otc tylenol.
  • Posted

So sorry the pain is that bad. I'm trying to wean away from ibuprofen after three months. Just thinking, you might try going to one oxy and fill in with an nsaid midway through..like at two hours. I must admit I still take one oxy/aceto. before bed but trying to get away from that as well as I only have about ten left at last count. Don't think I'll be getting refills either. Hope you're elevating and icing...that does help. When I was on active PT-did need "drugs" when I got home. Taking before the session didn't seem to work for me at all. But there are those on this site with great and helpful info as well. They should be getting home from wilkies and workout soon! 😉
  • Posted

Yeah, those first few weeks are a tough time.  I am at 5 months post TKR.  Initially, I was taking the oxycodone as well as tramadol (50 mg), one or the other each four hours.

Eventually (about six weeks), I stopped the oxy but even now I take a Tramadol now and then, particularly in the evening when fatigue can set in.

• Posted

I really do feel for you, I to never thought the pain would be so bad I am going into my 5th week post op and still taking strong pain medication, like you I run out very soon after coming out of hospital pain was so bad that i needed to call shop doc on a Sun morning have never used the service before but was very impressed as the Doc on call got a prescription to Tesco's within a hour. have since been to my own GP and have got pain meds sorted could not do without them at the moment, My knee is still swollen and bruised but I bled a lot durning the op so it is being put down to that, my  pain has got easier and I am more mobile I still get a bit tearful but really do try to remain positive everyone tells me it will take time, so hang in there and dont be afraid to ask your GP for pain meds they are a must along with ice and rest, I wish you well
  • Posted

You must rent or buy a ice therapy machine!  You can look it up on line.  I bought one which was expensive $280 canadian but you can rent them.  It pumps ice water through a sleeve.  I sleep with it on.  Couldn't manage without it.  As soon as you have tooo much pain, put it on for an hr.  I only take Extra strengthe tylenol during the day and I strong stuff at night.  It dries out my month and gives me a headache, constipation etc. so I can't wait to get off it.  Aslo deep massage for sciatica helps as well as chiropractor.  
  • Posted

I was encouraged to wean myself off oxy as soon as possible but had the same issues as you. Only 2 every 4 hrs worked. Nurse suggested on that second hour after oxy, take Tylenol. So basically she was saying, take oxy as prescribed, then at 2nd hr,  take otc Tylenol. Now it really did havoc with my stomach, so you have to be careful, but I would ask your dr. Just what he recommends after telling him how meds,  as prescribed, are not doing the job. Oh, I remember being at the pharmacy, crying because I knew I would run out by the weekend and my insurance co would not authorize the refill. I'm sure I looked like a strung out addict, but I was fearing the pain with no way to get refill over a weekend.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  Talk to your dr.  
  • Posted

I knew they would chime in for you! In a pinch, you can those refreezable ice mats at the drug store. They won't last as long but is a real help in the interim. I actually have two so one is frozen while using the other. Also a help when traveling...when you get back to that. No hurries there! 
    • Posted

Yes I have a ice pack, it is a large one fits right round my leg, it came with two ice packs which has been invaluable..1 on and 1 in freezer, i also use it at night and still do. I got it from amazon
    • Posted

Sue, my ice machine was issued to me in the hospital.  But during the day, when I was "downstairs" for the whole day, I used frozen peas or corn.  Worked great.  I'd have to smash the bag up so it was flexible around my knee, but then back in the freezer until "veggie time" again.  When I was through icing - month + later.....I threw them out.  
    • Posted

My hospital let me use an ice machine in the hospital, it was brilliant but they didn't lend them. I found ice really good, had my doubts before when nurses said ice helped but it did. I'm 9 weeks and still find it useful.

• Posted

You're doing just as good with ice or try the veggies. That ice machine is standard issue I believe where I went but no doubt comes with a hefty price. Insurance picked up cost but I know it was not cheap. And I had one at home from a previous miniscus surgery but they told me I couldn't bring it to the hospital because of germs. I now have 2😀!
  • Posted

Hi insist that your doctor gives you the strongest pain meds that work best for you for a least a month to six weeks this op  is bl**dy painfull dont let doc say otherwise

also if you are in a lot of pain you cant do the physio to get knee  working you wont

get dependent on meds in that short a time stick with it i does settle down slowly

• Posted

Hi Just. I'm 3 weeks post tomorrow. I was given oxy codon in hospital in small doses and then tramadol. They said oxy was morphine and addictive. The tramadol don't agree with me so surgeon put me on sopadol and Paralief, can't sleep at night with pain despite taking meds. Yes I ask why did I have this op and just hope in time I will be pleased I did,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.