1 Week Post Op Pain after TKR

Posted , 19 users are following.

So it has been 10 days since my tkr and the pain and healing process has been allot more than I had expected. I have definitely had some excruciating moments when I have not stayed ontop of the pain and waited a little too long to take my meds. I was given oxycodone 5mg (50) take 1-2 every 4-6 hours for pain. I have found that taking 2 every 4 hours has really made the pain "manageable". So with this quantity I ran out after 5 days. When I called my Dr to get a refill they were very hesitant to give me any more meds!! After crying on the phone to them they agreed to refill only 1 more time another 50 and after that no more! So I'm wondering is this normal to be off pain meds 2 weeks after a tkr?? Iv tried to stretch the length of taking them up to 5 hours buts it's not easy. I'm extremely upset looking forward to the pain when these meds are gone? Has anyone else had this issue?

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was given the same directions for Oxycodone as you, though I could only take 1 tablet at a time, because of stomach upset. I finally had to stop entirely the Oxycodone and my doctor/surgeon switched me to Tramadol and Extra Strength Tylenol if needed. I had pain meds all through 6 to 8 weeks of PT, also if needed. No question about getting refills. If you're in pain, you can't heal as quickly and you do need them for PT, otherwise you won't be able to do the PT. I don't know what is wrong with doctors and pain meds. So afraid of overdosing patients, they don't give enough to get you through this awful TKR surgery. Maybe if they went through this surgery, they wouldn't be so hesitant in prescribing pain meds. Hope you can work someting out with your doctor to keep you pain free for the duration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.