1 week post ORIF surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Today I had to get my splint changed and I was able to finally get a look at my incisions. My surgery was one week ago, on March 3, 2020. Do these look normal? (I did not see a doctor today to ask, I just saw a tech who did the splint).

I had two plates and 14 screws put in.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

It doesn't look bad, though I'm surprised they took the steri strips off. My dr. scolded me for coming in at 1 week post op but the splint was driving me nuts and falling apart. The PA left the strips on to prevent infection as that's always a risk that early.

Aside from that those stitches are way thicker than mine, doc pulled them out today and the were thickness of very light fishing line.

Edit, looks like your strips are there, hard to see.

• Posted

The top photo with all the stitches look ok but that last picture with crescent shaped scar looks very puckered like it was drawn too tight.. I'm not an expert but have had a lot of stitches for different things and have heard comments about how neat some stitches were done... Yours don't seem that neat on that particular area. I hope it heals ok for you anyway but do ask doc to see it when you go back.

• Edited

looks fine. Youll heal fast just use cocoa butter. i had staples. little pinches to remove but my scars are very similar to yours! Heal up love!! ❤

• Edited

looks great ! nothing to be alarmed about. keep informed on your recovery. 3 years since my orif surgery so i know all about the process from begginng to the end

• Edited

They look normal. The surgical staples will be removed in a week and the healing will begin. I had metal removal surgery a week ago and had staples removed yesterday and feeling really good. You'll be fine. You need a lot of patience during this long recovery. Good luck! Just took a closer look and you have stitches which will be much easier and less painful to remove.

• Edited

I had my surgery on the 5th, so I am right behind you. I only had 1 plate and 3 screws put in. I don't go back until the 17th to have mine looked at, x-rayed, and then he will decide if I get a boot then. I hope so! The splint was comfortable the first few days, but is driving me nuts now! Everyone heals and scars differently, so I wouldn't worry so long as there are no signs of infection. These are our battle scars, be proud! I will snap a pic of mine when they take it off next week. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Manda089, I have not had my original splint taken off yet so can't say. Jealous you've got the splint removed already! Best of luck with your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.