1 year after halo.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had halo surgery over a year ago for bad internal hemroids. They didn't tell me what stage I was but bleeding a lot every day. Told me it would be a relatively easy op and recovery. They LIED. Pain was immense. And I had really bad blood clots which put me back in hospital and almost needed another emergency operation because I was hemroging. Went 14 days until I started eating solid food. Nothing can prepare you for the pain, and i regretted doing it straight away. 2 months after I was doing much better however the hemroids never really went away just less swollen and no blood for about 6 months. However after 6 months of final normality they started to swell again and now I am back to how it was a year ago bleeding a lot, and feeling like they are blocking my stool from passing properly. I can't find what is making them worse, my diet is fine. I have noticed alcohol causes more severe bleeding despite doctors telling me this shouldn't make a difference it does! I also have Crohn's disease which doesn't help and is why I got them in the first place. Help please I don't know what else to do to keep living with them, but there is no way I can go through that surgery again just for 6 months of normality. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you considered having them completely removed? 
  • Posted

After the severity of recovery just from halo, absolutely not an option. 
  • Posted

I had grade 4 and had three removed which I have now been told by my surgeon was a difficult operation. First two weeks was bad for BM. I had a high fibre diet and drank plenty of water. After every BM I had a bath. I am now back to normal and am so glad I had the operation. Hope this helps you.
  • Posted

Hey Cezzabell,

I have IBD too (UC) and also the cause of my bleeding hems that I have been fighting for years.  At one point they bled so much I was almost passing out all the time .. my hema globin was in the 8s. I ended up in ER and then a week in hosi.    I was getting iron infusions over the following months but then had an alergic reaction to one so would be a big risk to try another one.

What stopped mine from bleeding and 'fixed' them for 12 months at a time was injection sclerotherapy.  I had it done twice and each time it lasted 12 months.    Unfortunately, they kept coming back and its hard to find a Dr that wlll keep doing the injections, it seems like a big inconvenience for them.    But if I could have had that done once per year, that would have done the job.

So I had the HALO (HAL RAR here) 10 days ago myself looking for a more permanent fix.   I'm getting there but its been a tough road and I still am not feeling 100% ... seemed to affect my entire bowel,  maybe due to my IBD.    Still feeling more tired than usual and going to the toilet many times a day.   No fun.   Was hoping to be good for Xmas but I'll be lucky to be able to sit in a chair for a meal.

Anyway I feel your pain ... perhaps you could look into the injections.   They work for Internal Hems that bleed.

THere are a few studies around but here is one a randomly just found on Google, http://medind.nic.in/gaa/t14/i1/gaat14i1p82.pdf

btw banding is useless .... had it 3 times and it made my bleeding even worse on the last try,

• Posted

It's crazy how many people have to

Go through this and still the only options are agonising surgery. I will look into those injections thank you. Halo is a rough road, it gets better with time. I lived off small portions of fish and mushy veg for a few months and lots of baths which helped with the bowel stuff. It gets better but no guarantee they won't come back sad thanks for your reply 

• Posted

Yeah still on the recovery road after my HALO, will be 3 weeks post op in 2 days.      I still can't stand up for very long, hard to have BMs, and just feeling sick and tired.  Last night I had a reaction to the stool softener I took for the first time (Colaxyl) ... very high BP, fast pulse and sweating.    Scary .. nearly went to ER at 3am but they would just give me a valium (like last time I got buzzed out by something) and send me home ... I took 4mg of valium my Dr had prescribed previously and I started calming down within an hour... I often get these weird reactions ... its not even listed as a side effect.    

btw there was some pain with the second lot of injections I had, because the surgeon asked if I wanted him to be 'aggressive'  ... I said yeah do that if its going to work better.   The pain was not as bad as HALO though.    The first lot didn't hurt but there was some itching for a few weeks.   If I was a millionaire I would just pay a Dr to do injections every 12 months and that would do the job for me.

Good luck,

• Posted

I ended up not taking stool softener when I was in your situation because I found it made things worse. Just stook to mushy easy digestible small meals. And coconut water for electrolytes and energy booster. 

Ice lollies were good to snack on when starving. 

Also started having small walks around a park to build my strength back up gradually.  Hope these suggestions help you a little. 

Currently looking into a toilet full of blood again because I had alcohol yesterday. So annoying so deffo will try the injections. Thank you. 

• Posted

Ah yes, 1 meal a day fish and well cooked broccoli every meal !

I know the feeling with the blood ... I used to hear it dripping away when on the toilet ... I would think to myself there is my life dripping away.    The injections did stop the bleeding though and even when it came back it was not as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.