1 year after knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi there. I’m 14 months post TKR. It was a long difficult haul but after about 10 months I was finally better. I even took a wonderful trip to Peru that I had canceled last year to have the surgery. Then, out of nowhere, about a week ago my knee started hurting like it did a few months post surgery. It’s not stiff, just painful. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nooooo, I didn't want to read that...I was hoping yours was a post about your knee being perfect since I am now six months post TKR and sitting here with ice on my aching knee!!!  

Sorry no idea why your knee would be painful after all this time...

• Posted

Im 6 months po and still have to ice myknee atleast twice a day, still hurts, and my ROM is just 100.  My orthopedist says, O it will take a year... Didn't tell me that when I signed up for this &#*^ surgery.

• Posted

My surgeon told me it would be a year of recovery...but I DIDN'T BELIEVE IT....dummy me.  I heard all these stories  about people having no pain or problems a month after the surgery....of course I thought I would in that category...now I am thinking I am going to be in the category of those who take longer than a year!!!   My ROM is 120 but that is after having a MUA...

• Posted

I'm 6 months post TKR and I'm the same icing and elevating still, and the pain at night is awful.

• Posted

Please don’t be discouraged. After 9-10 months I was fine. Like I said, I went to Peru last month & did a lot of hiking (Machu Picchu, etc) with no issues. I’m hoping this is just a temporary setback & was wondering if anyone else experienced it. Didn’t mean to bum anyone out. I have a lot of friends who went through it & are doing great & very happy. Remember, the people who tend to post here are those that are having problems. 

• Posted

Oh mercy, Im like MAT2018, I thought you were going to say the blessed words that I keep praying that I can say; that Im so glad I had this surgery.....  I can't say those words.  Worse decision I have ever made.  SOOO sorry you're having problems now!!!  Keep us posted...

• Posted

Oh dear - that's not good....are you sure you haven't put any extra strain on it, done a bit too much or just turned awkwardly ! I hope with a bit of rest and ice it will come right again but don't leave it too long if ot doesn't.....

I had TKR last December and it was surely a rough and rocky road until they discovered the cement had leaked and stuck to knee cap giving more pain on movement than they expected.....BUT have had new knee cap last week, cement all cleared out - hopefully - wound glued together and not stitched and no major muscle or ligamanents touched in recent op and all is on track for a good recovery...just wished they had listened to me in the first place and not just thought I was being a whimp about my pain and not being able to bend knee or do stairs properly (mind you stairs are still a problem as I keep forgetting as haven't done stairs properly for almost 20 years! Cement was discovered by a scan for another problem and was presented to my surgeon by another NHS Hospital Trust....he was very apologetic but tbh I think we know our own bodies better than anyone else and they should listen to patients more and not think we are all wingers.....here's hoping you improve soon Terri....let us know how it goes....best wishes x

• Posted

Thank you. I haven’t done anything unusual to put strain on my knee. Interestingly, my back went out (which it does periodically) at the same time. Back is better but not knee. I’ll contact my surgeon & physical therapist 

• Posted

Hi missmagwumps, .

I ready your info and I am concerned about my knee. I had partial Knee replacement in Dec. 2016. I  was progressing well until one day at PT the therapist was very aggressive with my knee exercises. After which I was not able to complete my usual exercises the next day. We followed up with MRI but did not show anything, had a 2nd opinion.  PT for over 1 year both land and water. I am still having problems, not able to walk well. I do get back pains from a disc. 

I am sooo disappointed. I am not to sit for long and if I do when I get up it's like the implant has to settle first. I wish I can get a miracle and be completely healed. Please let me know if anyone else is having the same issues ad how was it resolved. Thanks

• Posted

Im so sorry Liz.  I wish I could say I have had a good experience, but I have not.  You are not alone...
    • Posted

Hi Terri

There is a very good chance that putting your back out has changed the alignment of your whole body especially and including your knee.  I did something very similar and it put so much strain on the new knee after eleven months I felt I was back at the beginning. Using a walking stick and resting as much as I could (although that isn't good for backs!) has taken away most of the excruciating stuff, but it has taken about a month. Good luck

• Posted

I kind of figured that might be the case, Tricia.  And yes, resting is not great for the back, plus it drives me crazy. I’m on a lake, so I am able to kayak & swim without putting strain on my knee. Although, even swimming, I have to kick gently with a fairly straight leg. 

I will try to see my PT since I feel like he’s the most in tune with my body mechanics & will hopefully help. 

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, 

I will be 8 months post op TKR on the 12th August. I found the first few months very hard and regretted having the op. Now I’m delighted with my new knee. I have about 140 degree

bend and a o straight leg, I was really up set that I needed a TKR as I wanted to become a yoga teacher and thought that this op would stop that dream, well I continued with my training even though I was unable to take part in some of the practical just after the op but as the months gone by I’ve nanaged more, I am 1 year into the 3 year course but start teaching a regularly classs on the 6th August at my local gym. I have worked really hard on recovery and am delighted with my knee knee. Could not of done this on my old knee. 

I hope that those struggling manage to get some relief as time goes by. 

Keep doing your exercises, Ice, elevate when ever you need to. 

Louise xxxx

• Posted

Louise, I love yoga & recently went back to some very gentle yoga after not doing it for over a year. I have an excellent bend (pretty much all the way) & straight leg. Just pain recently with movement. I avoid the warrior poses because of the strain on my knee. Are there any other poses that you know of I should stay avoid?

• Posted

Hi Terri,

You need to build up the glute muscles stretch the calf and hamstrings and core, the idea is to use the muscles to support you and not the knee.  Poses like pigeon will be a no no, rock, sitting back on your heels will be hard. 

Working on the leg strength will help with most poses. The idea of Yoga is to be kind to yourself and only go to your measure. Lying down side twists have really helped my scar tissue. 

Xx 

• Posted

I loved yoga before my knee replacement...would love to find a yoga teacher that has had one!!!   You go  Louise!  There are several gentle yoga classes in my area and I do need to start back...

• Posted

My 2-cents...

Gentle yoga...yes.  Full on yoga...I would never even consider it.  Think...

You want to get your knee to 120-degrees of flexion or a bit more.  125-135 is pretty ideal.  Now the problem...  140 starts "athlete's range" and 161 is heel touching butt...as in full on yoga.  Questions:

Do you think your new knee was built for that degree of flexion?  Do you know the manufacturer of your device and know its practical limits?  Do you want to take the chance of breaking the implant or significantly reducing its life span so you have to do this all over again?

If the answers are all "no", I'd stay away from pushing the device too far.  After trying to find some numbers and reading well over 4,000 discussions, I can't find the information anywhere.  My advice...don't take the chance.

• Posted

Thank you Chico Marx for all your 2-cents...your words have been helping me get through this knee replacement...and  I agree with you that is why I would love to have a yoga teacher that has had a knee replacement and really understands the boundaries.  Besides my knee I have other spine issues so I have to be really  careful with yoga....is is not the "perfect" exercise that many think it is...it can still cause problems. 

• Posted

I know the feeling.  Lots of metal...  I'm the TSA's worst nightmare at the airport...

• Posted

Hearing you about spine issues & yoga. I used to go to a yoga studio in Manhattan that specializes in Yoga for scoliosis & other back issues (started by Elise Browning Miller from California who has put out very specific videos). Been meaning to go back there since the teachers are incredible & very knowledgeable. We do need a TKR yoga video  though.   Maybe louise77246?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.