1 year anniversary TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

i just went past my 1year Anniversary Feb 21st.  I was looking at some of my posts from last year,  I remember being so discouraged that I couldn’t bend my knee to the 120 PT wanted.  I walked out of there crying many times because I was so afraid of the manual adjustment,  my surgeon kept telling me that I was doing fine but I got into a competitive thing with other people who were walking, bending that knee to 120,throwing away the cane after a week, not taking painkillers,  whew, lots to live up to. 

Then it finally all came together, I could bend that knee to 120and beyond, didn’t need pain killers, I was out walking the cane and tripping on it so I discarded that.  

So if you’re new to this please don’t be discouraged.  You will get to where YOU are supposedly to be.  No one else feels what you feel so keep your exercises up faithfully, ice like crazy, move around a lot, you can’t hurt this titanium knee,  I was exercising the other day and it felt so strong.  

You will heal and get better.  Please, chin-up 

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST !! I am 5 months out and feel depressed some days and good some days - feeling better recently and appreciate your post a lot ! 
  • Posted

Love your post!  I am 3 months post TKR but..., totally confident I am going to do great.  Last year I accompanied my husband to a formal party 4 months after a septic arthritis infection- on a walker.  Last night I went- no cane- no limp- no walker- no pain meds. I am so so encouraged!  Thank you for your victory post!!!!! I am not where I want to be but confident it will happen.
  • Posted

Thank you so much.Your post has given me hope.I know I am only 6 weeks but can’t bend my knee much.Nearly everyone seems to be doing much better than me,don’t get any formal physio in NIreland after op so just doing it myself.
  • Posted

Fantastic! I too am one year post op on 8th March, and have been looking over this experience. It was hard ...a real challenge, on all fronts but so worth while. The freedom of living life more fully with mobility and no debilitating pain is something I could not imagine ever having again before the TKR. Life had indeed shrunk! The patience needed in recovery is great, but what an investment.

You are so very right and I am sure your encouragement will help others greatly.

Wow! We should all get medals I think!

• Posted

Congratulations! Appreciate your post it is encouraging for us still on the mend. Best wishes. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.