1 year celebration!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just had my 1 year checkup after having a total knee replacement. Doc says the x-ray looks great & I am gaining strength in my quad muscle. SO grateful for this site! Came to it in excruciating pain & unable to take narcotics due to vomiting. Also could not sleep; had sciatica, was on my own after 7 days; & was discouraged! Everyone here helped me so much. THE YEAR TIME LINE GIVEN BY CHICO WAS RIGHT ON FOR ME! IT helped me not get discouraged. i now do water aerobics 4 days a week and bike. Need to have the other knee done....but i am going to give myself some time as the "nightmares" of the 1st one have not totally gone!

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! IT DOES GET BETTER!!

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

congrats to you!!! glad your one year visit went well and you are so much better!!

• Posted

I had mine done March 12 of this year and I still have alot of pain and discomfort at nite! Can't get comfortable and just don't sleep very well. So it took a year for yours to get Better? I also need the other knee done but after this one it is going to wait!

• Posted

i feel your pain! But you are early in the recovery. Don't get discouraged...it will slowly get better. ❤

• Posted

Do you think so, that would be great...I'm 10 months now just 2 months behind you, were you like me then 2 months ago...if be so happy if I was...

Thank you cathy

• Posted

Hear hear this site was a life saver for me also...it took me a year to be somewhat "normal" and I am in ah at how great my new knee feels and acts....it just takes time which of course in the beginning you think oh I will get work though this and in xxx weeks I will be better. When I started looking at months or years I was kinder to myself and did a lot better.

• Posted

Cathysf,

Awesome! Glad you are doing so well! I had mine done in June of 2018! I'm doing very well also! Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi Cathy, I'm delighted for you, well done , can i ask you when did you know you were better...ie...did all your pain go away...stiffness, limping,and numbness..I'm 10 months now and still have these things....I doubt all this will stop in 2 months...is your TKR knee,.. pain free and back to normal like a knee is suppose to be...

Rose

• Posted

. Honestly, I still get very mild twinges of pain & stiffness but it is so much better Just recently ...this month & not before......I realized that I was not reaching for ibuprofen during the day & that I am beginning to get stronger as each day goes by. It certainly is a longer process than i thought it would be & very individualized on how the recovery goes. Would not have been to handle it without knowing there are many of us out there that struggle for a year or more.

Best wishes to you on improving as the weeks go by! ❤

• Posted

Thank you Cathy, I don't think any of us realised how long it takes to recover , I thought after a month or 6 weeks I'd be back to normal with a lovely new well working knee...I'm not in a hurry to get my other knee done...I feel the pain in that knee now is nothing compared to the suffering in the operated knee, I think I won't get it done ever...

• Posted

Exactly how I feel! The pain in my knee that has not been operated on is nothing compared to what I suffered those 1st few months after the other knee was replaced. Doctors do a poor job of honestly preparing us for the huge recovery ahead. I too thought I was very motivated & would be up & going full force in 6 weeks to 3 months.I read about people doing amazing things quickly after their replacements. What a joke on me. I learned here that the norm is much longer...into a year.

Anyway....best of luck to you!

• Posted

Glad it's worked out had my first knee done in April last year and second one done, 4", weeks ago. They had to remove a lump on my knee whilst they were doing my second so double whammy. However sleeping, 8 hrs no med during the day at all only near bed time. Have a 98`"bend and physio happy with quads now to be able to ride my bike. Glad I have had both done looking forward to pain free in a few mi ths time. Yes initially horrific but time heals and us it worth it YES

• Posted

Many congratulations and best wishes for the future!🙂

• Posted

Well done you, it is a rough ride, glad you are doing well, had mine done Late November, i'm four months on and not quite there yet. Yes this forum has really helped. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.