1 year check up

Posted , 8 users are following.

It's been a little while since I've been on here. I still read the posts that people make on here.

Had my 1 year check up last week. The Doctor was pleased with my bend and check up. I told him that I was still having a weak muscle at the top of knee. He said that that muscle they slice open to get to the knee operation that is why it's weak. He showed me a couple if exercises to do for that He said it might take up too 1 1/2 years to recover.

He watched me walk and said I have more ROM in my operated knee than my good knee seem stiff. Ironic.

In the past year wasn't easy. Pain wise and learning what you can do and then what activities you have to modify.

Guess can't complain to much pretty much got my lifestyles back.

I can go up and down my stairs without a problem. I can kneel if I have to. Can walk and ride a bicycle without any problem. I haven't iced my knee in about 7 months.

About only problem is getting out if bed in mornings. I wouldn't call my knee stiff just little tender. Now if I go for long car ride of course I'm stiff.

Standing for long knee muscle hurts. But then I sit and after a few minutes I'm fine.

At least the bone on bone pain is gone! Just have muscle pain.

I will never have this done again.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

So glad that your on the mend. Can't wait for year to end.

Im now just into my 6 month, and never done so much exercise in my life.

Now got my knee back to 121 degrees and can do most things. Just waiting for the stiffness to ease up and the continual ache. They say 6-9 months?

Before I get out of bed in the morning I sit up in bed and pull my knee upto me keeping foot on the mattress, do this 10 times.

And NO I would'nt have this done again. Been like Hell on earth!!!!!

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Hello Sue

Yes, keep up your exercise I know they are a pain In the neck. And seems like that is all we do in the first 10 months. The heal slides that you do in the morning are great to do them on the bed. It's so much easier that way.

As for your dull ache yes that will start going away by 9 months. Now as for the stiffness going away? I've read on here that some people still have stiffness 2 years out, while other people don't have this stiffness like my sister in law. I've been told that if you have a active life style the stiffness will go away quicker.

Good luck on your healing

Ronnie 

• Posted

Hi Ronnie 

I’m so pleased you are doing well keep up the good work and like you I won’t be having my left knee done as I feel I could not go through the pain the abscess and the lack of support of the consultant he may be experienced in his field but has no bedside manner or compassion at all 

• Posted

Happy to hear your doing well Ronnie.. I had my right knee done 6 months ago and left 4 1/2 months.  Six weeks apart.. right is doing ok, still working on a better bend, just stiff.. been struggling with left.  Had MUA in June, still tight and stiff..  bend not so good.. agree never exercised so much before..plus never told it would take this long to recover.. so giving it the year.. also I’m on younger side and I will never have this done again...  take care!!
  • Posted

Gotta do the muscle rebuild...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Have fun...

• Posted

Hello Chico

Thank you for the link. I've read this about 7 months ago.

I do use the resistance bands for my glutes and thighs. Been using resistance when using my bikes.Stairs are not a problem for me, not since about month 5

Good luck in your recovery+

• Posted

Dear Chico I hope you are well,

Lovely weather in the South part of UK

I wondered if I could ask you your opinion!

I am now at the start of 6 monthsTKR and was doing exercise every day-

lunges set of 3 and each one counting to 10, 5 second break not between.

cycle, counting to 300 pedals.

Standing on bad leg, holding good leg up and arms out to side, closing my eyes and counting to 15, break for 5 seconds and then 2 more.

I then lay on the floor and pull my bad knee up to me keeping my foot on the floor. Then I raise good leg up and cross my arms over my chest, count to 15 then 5 second break and then another 2 sets.

I also go to the gym and use rowing machine, low impact and cycle along with leg presses.

I walk in the swimming pool and at the end of pool I bring legs up and out behind me, holding onto side of pool and then bring knees in and out. Normally do 30 of these.

I also walk my little dog twice a day.

Up and down the stairs ok.

Although I don't do pool and gym everyday, I was told to rest every other day.

My knee is now at 121 degrees, but always aching.

Would you agree with resting every other day, and always Ice my knee

Im a very active 59 year old.

Hope you can answer my questions, because everyone tells you different answers.

And you being a 'Guru' on this subject.

Thank you so much,

Sue 😕

• Posted

It is a given in the world of physical fitness that you do NOT exercise the same muscle group two days in a row.  A typical alternating days routine for someone REALLY into gym work would be: Day 1 - chest, shoulders, legs; Day 2 - back, arms, abs, core.  The physiology of this is that working the muscles actually breaks them down and produces lactic acid (that's why you hurt after a workout when you don't hydrate).  The day off lets the muscles rebuild to a stronger state.  So it's always alternating days for the same muscle group for your knee...quads, glutes, hamstrings and core every other day.  Cycling just warms you up; heavy duty cycling or elliptical for cardio can be done every day.

Now that you've loosened up, you need to really work on rebuilding that muscle strength.  This does many things: better muscle tone takes the pressure off the knee itself and puts it on the muscles where it belongs, you will have less knee pain, you will walk correctly again and not throw your hips and back out of alignment, you will regain your balance and you will be able to do stairs without holding onto anything.  See?  All good stuff...but it takes work...specific work for those muscles.  Here's the plan...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Endurance before weight.  The work you've been doing should make this a lot easier but now it's time to target specific muscles.  Have fun...

• Posted

Glad to hear you result are 1 year I am at 10 months now I know what to expect in a year had my left knee done Nov 2017 now my right knee has gotton worse and is affecting my ankle which I was told would happen in pt so surgery again some time this year hope it go as well as the first time
  • Posted

Nope, me either. Never , ever have anything else replaced!!!  I regret I had this TKR.  But, ronnie, glad you got a good report.  that;s great.
  • Posted

Lol...I feel your comment! I too, will Never have this done again! But am very happy to be rid of that bone on bone pain!

• Posted

Yes to be bone on bone free is great but can’t wIf for the painting go away saw my consultant the other day a vile mani said I’m not happy with how things have gone the abscess has set me back a few weeks was hoping to be back at work ( as someone said to me I must be  delusional  But the thing is I was told 6 weeks and I would be fine he has now said it could be 6 mth they also asked me when did I want the other one done I said no thank u I will not let that man touch me ever again so rude I’m seeing his  registrar  Next week them I’m telling my dr I’m not going back unless I can see someone else at the end of the day you have to have  confidence  In the person that is looking after you 

Keep strong and stay positive 

• Posted

My first ortho surgeon I was seeing didn't have no bed side manners at all. When I went for office visits all he said was lose weight and he wouldn't do injections or pt . So I finally got a good surgeon that did my knee replacement. He is a good doctor.

My one year mark was August 7th. I told my doctor that I still had mixed feelings about my tkr. Now all I have is muscle pain not bone on bone pain

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Saw the  registrar today as my consultant was on holiday thank God  what a nice man he was he said the abscess hole is getting smaller but I can still not go back to work until it is completely healed the swelling on my knee can last up to at least six months before I notice things to be a lot better  all I want now is to be pain-free and get back to work 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.