1 year follow up and still tendinitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had my one yr follow up today. Exactly one yr to the day of my TKR. I am still being told I have tendonitis in that knee, which I truly believe was caused by the physical therspist trying to flatten my knee against the mat by putting all her weight on it and pushing straight down so the back of my knee actually hit the mat.

My calfs are to muscular for thst yo ever happen from riding horses for decades and playing catcher in softball for years. Freaking witch smiled as she did it. My surgeon actually said he wants a second opinion on my knee as I should not be in this amount of pain and hecwants to know if he screwed up somewhere or is missing something. Yay! He is finally listeninhg to me!!

So, has anyone dealt with getting chronic tendonitis after a TKR? What have uou done for it? Did it ever get better? I cant take NSAIDS bc of other medication. I still ice it, do my home exercises, etc.

I told him the pain is actually worse than before my TKR but Im behinning to believe it will never go away.

Any comments or suggestions eould be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh gosh, sorry.  Yes get a second opinion!!  Mine is in two weeks. Can’t wait!!
    • Posted

My second opinio is this Tuesday., with my former orthopedic surgeon in another state. I miss the days when I vould call and he always hot me right in bc he knew I knew when something was drastically wrong with my knees. After 20 years w/ him and moving out of state, he still doesnt make me wait weeks for an appointment. By far,my favorite Dr.
  • Posted

Some people have reported such pain, and other pain as well, extending past the one year mark which is NOT a magical number.  Popping sounds, stiffness, tightness, nerve issues and more can last another six months.  "Tendonitis" can be relieved by Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere).  GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain killer.  Have your doc or pharmacist check for interactions (rare).  Use it multiple times a day and especially at bedtime.

• Posted

Chico Marx, I have been using Voltaren Gel for years. Mobic occcassionally. Due to being on blood thinners, cant take anti inflammatory on daily basis. I understand about nothing magical happening at ine year, but want to know when does tebdonitis become 1) chronic and 2) getting rid of it.

Having tendonitis for a straight year is bull in my eyes. Heck after six months, they talked surgery for tendonitis in my elbow (which I declined). I really am questioning if it is indeed tendonitis in my knee.

• Posted

Then you need a second opinion on the diagnosis plus a treatment plan.  You might consider a practice that specializes in sports medicine, especially the knee issues.  That type of group may have other suggestions for you if they confirm the tendonitis.
    • Posted

Seems to me like most treatment plans for tendonitis is rice and physical therapy. I have had all the pt I can get and after dealing w/ pt on/off for 10 yrs for my knees, dont think it would do any good.

Resting my knee isn't an option either as I work with animals and ride horses. A second opinion is most welcomed, and maybe I can finally get somewhete with the dang thing. Even my pain management Dr (ex orthopedic surgeon) says this has been going on to long.

I have a hinged splint/brace for walking on my right knee. Helps a lot. Womder if It would benefit the replaced one? Ill find out soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.