1 year old sickness and diarrhoea

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter was ill 2 weeks ago with a cold and had diarrhoea with it. The cold cleared up but the diarrhoea continued. Then last weekend she started being sick as well. This has cleared up a bit but she is still being sick once or twice a night and still has diarrhoea this is normally once or twice a day but is a lot leaks out of her nappy and is very watery.

She has been to the doctors 3 times and I keep being told it is a virus but a stool sample has now been sent off but waiting for the results. She hasn't got much of an appetite is not as happy as she used to be. Any ideas of what this could be?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi pippa 31886

Have you changed her milk at all? My granddaughter was continuing to give my great granddaughter baby milk and it made her sick every night...try changing her milk to cows milk if you have't already done so....my great granddaughter had cows milk and stopped being sick...she has no milk now for bed only milk shakes during day...hope this helps....

• Posted

She is breastfed so there has been no change to her milk. Her milk is the only thing she wants not really food
    • Posted

Hi pippa 31886

Is she bringing up the breast milk?....are you eating anything different or taking medication that might affect your milk? Does your little one have a temperature if so she may have an infection going on...did you or doc take her temperature?....

• Posted

Yes she brings up the breast milk but only at night in the day she is fine. No my diet hasn't changed at all. The doctor checked her temperature and that was normal.

• Posted

So happy the stool is being tested finally!

One other idea:

For changes in her guts regarding lactose digestion by genetics,

she seems too young

(usually lactose digestion possibility = lactase enzyme production in guts,  alters from age 3 on, in some more, in some less. I am 'old' and can still digest lactose like a baby, others can get only sip a gulp of milk and have a rumbly tummy. Very individual).

But ask if that could be the case, since a cold, maybe a 'stomach flu' might have left something on gut lining as a temporary damage making digestion of lactose harder since those gut linings stop making lactase enzyme temporarely? (Left over undigested lactose in guts pulls water causing diarrhae). But it would not continue forever.

All the best!

It's very stressful when little children are sick!

BTW: 

I had a strong reflux baby and I had to prove my surroundings (=family), that it was not due to breastmilk and gave formula, which made it even harder for her since it was thicker and got stuck in nose, unable to breath etc horrid. 

If a child has a reaction to something in breastmilk due to being allergic to some foods already (happens rarely), that is eaten by mum, it shows up pretty early. Your child is 1 and your diet not changed. So....

I nursed for a long time, too (especially at night) and was the best thing.

Breastmilk is usually the best, also for reflux children, no matter if formula could have 'rice' in it as a thickener.

Keep her well hydrated (breastmilk does change and accomodate that, too, the more drunk or if hot, the more watery, so cool).

And hope you both are happy soon again without all these problems.

• Posted

Hi pippa 31886

I have heard of a case whereby mum was breastfeeding and her milk was making the child ill. The paediatrician advised her to change her diet to rice fish and veggies this she did ..having flaked rice and milk for breakfast and a variety of fish and veg for meals.....after a week or two the baby stopped being sick and ill also stopped getting watery faeces....perhaps try this but speak to your doc about changing your diet and see what the results are of the watery faeces test......best wishes....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.