1 Year olds Blood tests show smudge cells, cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have been working with a doctor and they seem unsure, working on getting her into another doctor. Her lymphocytes have been increasing and she has basket (smudge) cells present. History of fever that lasted 28 days and daily fatigue. Will update with other results. Cant find much info on smudge cells in pediatrics,, I see it is usually cLL but in adults. Is it possible these results indicate leukemia?!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Not looking for a diagnosis just really interested in more info about smudge cells in children as there isn't much info available online. Maybe someone else has similar experiences.

• Posted

Hello!

I had to do a research in my hematology book to answer your question.There is the chance that the smudge cells indicate an infection and weak immune system( in children).Most of the cases of smudge cells though are a sign of CLL.If only 1 blood smear was tested there is also the possibility that the preparation of the blood film was clumsy,resulting the smudge cells.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I just found it confusing because everything I read says CLL is only in older people.

• Posted

CLL is indeed rare in children and also shows some other abnormalities in the blood smear.I suggest that you repeat the blood smear and CBC.Sometimes neutrophils can look like smudge cells. Did a hematologist look at the blood smear and the symptoms?What did the doctor do for the fever?

• Posted

We are repeating both, but the doctor is having us wait till next week. I am not sure who read the results but my doctor was the one that gave them to me. Doctor finally gave antibiotics after 32 days. Fever had lasted for 28 days. Doctor just had us treat with tylenol and kept saying it would get better. They did not do blood work until about 2 or 3 weeks into the whole thing, then seemed to get concerned and did an abdominal ultrasound (found unrelated kidney abnormality), chest xray, catheter and many blood tests and some repeat blood tests. Thank you so much for your time!

• Posted

Well now it is a waiting game until the tests.Keep us updated.I am hoping the smudge cells were because of an infection that weakened the cells.

Best wishes

• Posted

hello, if you don't mind can you say what ended up being the issue? we are dealing with something similar with in out family.

• Posted

any update for anyone? my son has smudge cells present twice now but not much info out there until further testing is done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.