1 year on

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was out walking a year ago and slipped and broke my tib, fib and 3 ankle bones.

Went through all the stages of feeling suicidal because I couldn't do anything for myself stressed because I couldn't be mobile.

Upset because I thought I'd never walk again. Had 2 orif surgeries and done everything the doctors told me to do.

Well a year has passed. I still have a nasty scar but that's it. I dont have a limp I dont have pain. I can walk just as far as I could before I broke it. I played football (soccer) with my nephew kicking the ball without a care in the world.

Just a reminder it does get better, listen to your body go at your own pace. Only you know your limits and push that little bit further every day. If you feel tired stop.

Just keep your head up and don't let the depression side of this beat you!

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It’s great to hear that all is good for you now

And seeing positive feedback on this forum 

Is very pleasing 

As most of it isn’t 

It really does give all of us who are suffering pain  light at the end of the journey ahead 

Thanks for posting 

This comment 

Lee

• Posted

How kind of you to respond.  I certainly need a boost at present.  Although I am an optimist, I have found it hard to find anything optimistic in the whole process.  I found it particularly hard in January when I was still non wb and using a frame because my husband was rushed into hospital due to problems caused by looking after me and not taking care of himself!  However, he is fine now and I am doing lots around the house and I am driving because I have an automatic car.  

​It is very heartening to know that someone who has been through it all has had a very good outcome.  I thank you very much indeed for sharing and for giving me a boost.

• Posted

So happy it worked out for you but that's not always the case for some. There are happy endings and some struggle with healing

• Posted

Hi Chaz,

Thanks for checking back in with us. I do remember your postings back then when you were in the thick of it.

New ankle injury patients certainly need to hear good news from those who have gone before them. Most of the postings on forum are by necessity gloom and doom, trauma and drama.

I'm sure the details behind your successful recovery are full of lots of hard work on your part: following your practitioner's instructions, diligent physiotherapy regimen, and doing everything else you could to rehab your busted up ankle. But that part of a recovery seems to be glossed over much of the time.

Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

The gloom and doom and trauma amd drama are unfortunately a reality for some people, even with hard work and determination! It's just good to know that you're not the only one when you're feelin down! 

• Posted

Thank you thank you. This is just what I needed to read and hear. 

Each day at a time !! 

Thanks  for the reminder that there is light at the end if the tunnel biggrin 

• Posted

Oops sue I couldn’t remember the tunnel 

Bit 😫

But lovely to hear positive news 

• Posted

Hi ladies and Gent glad to see you all taking it one day at a time. There definitely light at the end of the tunnel. I can do pretty much everything.

I was fortunate and didn't need any physiotherapy all I can say is pay attention and do the muscle exercises so you regain strength as you will need it.

Don't give up!

• Posted

Today I had my xray 7 weeks post surgery and after 4 weeksnin an air boot. iI was relieved to learn that my bones have mended and that I can now walk without the air boot. It was such a strange feeling trying to walk on.my injured foot - as though it was not mine. It was painful but bearable. The foot is quite swollen and I cannot wear any.of.my shoes or trainers so I.have to wear size 10 belonging to my partner ! My physio appointment is on 18th so for now any advice regarding what exercises I should be doing will be much appreciated.
    • Posted

Just wiggle your toes and do circular motions with your ankle in both directions but take it easy doing it. I didn't have any physio as I was able to do everything pretty much straight away (so I can't really help you on that sorry)

• Posted

HI Chazma, 

It is so nice to see your post. As you can see, things here sometimes can get pretty dim, but as we all move forward there is something to look forward to! We all need to see some good out comes. I too, have I think some good outcomes coming my way. I can just feel that my surgeon did an outstanding job. Even my scars are not bad and after 3 surgeries in a  year thats pretty good! 

Best of luck to you for continued pain free future! smile 

Rose

• Posted

Thank you Rose.

I'm sure you will be doing just fine. I had 2 surgeries in a week. Ended up with MRSA but just persevered..It's keeping your mind in the right place at the time it felt like a life time and now I can hardly remember it.

• Posted

YAYYYY GO YOU !!! What great news !! We should all get together and start a footy team , named Ankle Breakers United !!! 😂 I'll be goal keeper 😂 Great news 👏😀

• Posted

Chazma's recovery is simply amazing, since that leg and ankle were pretty busted up from what I can tell from the narrative.

Although Chazma states there was no physiotherapy needed, I would advise ankle patients to remember that each healing experience is different. Chazma seems to be unlike the average ankle patient in terms of physiotherapy and ankle rehab work needed to restore strength, stability, and functionality to ankle joints and soft tissue.

For the rest of us, I believe it truly takes a lot of hard work and persistence in the rehab game to have hopes of regaining your former mobility permanently. Please take it seriously.

• Posted

Yes I would highly reccomend doing what the physio says and tells you to do.

My ankle mobility and flexibility didn't really change at all from when I broke the ankle (I must have been very lucky) but I did have a pretty horrendous break like the rest of you. I've still got the metal in my leg.

Do take it seriously- even though I didn't have any more than 10 minutes of physio I did ankle exercises myself- and also calf muscle exercises. I still got nervous about walking on grass up until around 3 month ago.

Don't run before you can walk would be my advice pardon the pun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.