1 Year Post TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can it be, one year since beginning my TKR adventure. Thanks to a gifted surgeon and encouraging/kind forum comments from fellow TKR grads, I have attained a successful outcome. Fully able to enjoy all physical activities, with the exception of those that require running, jumping, or quick lateral movements. Stair climbing especially multiple flights are still challenging but doable. Kneeling will always feel strange, but that's OK. Routines followed which aided in my recovery were: proper nutrition and body weight; daily exercise (especially the days, you want to avoid it); sufficient rest/sleep, and, a can do attitude. Never, ever quit. Best wishes and the Lord's blessing to my fellow TRK classmates on your journey to good health and pain free living. 

9 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Great news that you got there , and have many pain free knee years ahead . I'm coming up to 20 years since my left knee , & 18 for the right . Had to do lots of exercise at first , but it is worth the effort . Nobody knows I have had knee problems unless I tell them . My TKR's are two of the best things I ever did . I have had no problems with mine , and at my last check up and x-ray I was told they were good for many years . 

• Posted

When were your check ups, and are you in the UK?

I forgot to ask when or even if I would have longer term follow up!

• Posted

My last check up was about 3 years ago , had check up every year and  x-ray every 2 years . Was told didn't need anymore check-ups unless there was a problem . I am in the UK , in a village in Saddleworth , a very beautiful but hilly part of the country .  

• Posted

Thank you... I think I will wait a year then ask GP about it, or earlier if I see her. Quite fancy getting it checked at least every 2 or 3 years initially.
  • Posted

Hello RangerJack,

I am still waiting on the day that there is no pain and no swelling. I am happy for you. I had my surgery the end of February and I still have the swelling and sometimes pain; however I know the day is coming when everything is great. Congratulations.

• Posted

WOOHOO!!!!!!!  LOVE IT!!!!!!  When we tell people it takes a full year to feel like you just described they either don't believe it or get depressed.  You are sooooooo right about never, ever quitting.  Once you get to a year, everything looks so very different.  

Yes, stairs will be an issue for a while longer..so will kneeling..and "clunking"..  Gotta work on those quads, glutes and core.  None of this happens on its own...you have to OWN your recovery if you want these results.

BIG congrats!!!!

• Posted

TKR Godfather,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. You are 100% correct, the recovery speed during months 10 thru 12 is miraculous. Minor knee discomfort and tightness disappear along with strength and flexibility. Another activity I highly recommend is yoga which helps recover flexibility and mobility. A side benefit of zero knee pain for me was lower blood pressure (BP), which resulted in eliminating BP meds.  At 68yo, feel like a young man of 60. All the best to you on your continued recovery.

• Posted

Most excellent result, my friend.  I'll be 70 in February, still work full time for AT&T as an IT Process Architect, and play bass in my blues/rock band.  I'm gonna die on stage or at my keyboard.

• Posted

Congratulations and thank you for posting! Always good to have reminders that things continue to improve! Good advice!

A new lease of life!

Yes, praise the Lord, indeed!

• Posted

HI ranger jack

?Yes I too have had my tkr for 14months now. I can do things now, not everything that I wanted though -,like I still find it difficult to kneel,and I certainly cannot lean back onto my lower legs  from kneeling.I can ride my bike okay,

?but cannot bend my knee fully by any means- I keep trying though still.

?I don't have pain much now but if I walk too far or overdo it I find it swells and aches. I wish I could have got back to normal scope, but whether it will happen, I don't know. I am grateful of the fact that I would have otherwise been in a wheelchair now.

?Hope this is helpful

• Posted

That’s awesome! I’m almost 11months. While I am able to walk farther, dance, and get around better...I still have some pain in the sides of my knees, and sometimes behind. Occasionally, I feel like something is sticking under my kneecap. Other than that though....I can handle it! It’s nothing compared to before! And sometimes, there’s no pain at all!! Congratulations on your recovery, and I hope that is still to come for me!!
    • Posted

I'm 19 months...it gets way better.  Just remember there are things you CANNOT do now with a metal knee.  Stay safe and keep on getting better.

• Posted

13 months for me buddy its nice to hear things are progressing well everything you posted is around the same level i am at but its a joy to be pain free i hope all goes well in the future

Good luck

Johnny.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.