10 days after removing cast- Ankle Surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 35, male. I had an ORIF surgery 7 weeks ago, and the cast was removed 10 days ago and i was advised to start Weight Bearing. In the last period after removing the cast, I was trying to do some recommended exercises.  

I will start PT in 2 days, I don't feel I am improving! I am still feeling tons of pain when I put 50% of my weight. I still use 2 crutches, and I am not sure how long more I'll keep walking with crutches. 

I tried to get further info from the doc but he's always say few words. and always say go and walk! and  I can't what to do!!! 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi. That's very early. You start off weight bearing putting only what you can on your foot using crutches or a walking frame. Your doctor doesn't expect you to actually put your full weight on your foot and walk unaided. It's a gradual process. Just put a lit bit of weight on your foot and put the  ball of your foot down first. It's a healing process not a miracle. It all depends on your injury. I was walking unaided post op 5 MONTHS. I was at the worse end of the spectrum regarding ankle breaks. Good luck. 🙂👍

• Posted

5 months is a very long period. how was your development, I  mean when did you start with 1 crutch, and then when unaided? last question, do you have any limp after the 5 months? 
    • Posted

Can you please give a detailed description of your ankle break and the type of surgery you underwent...I have two plates, screws and a tightrope fixation and no cast (5 weeks post op) I am curious about others as I am trying to gage my recovery while being optimistic yet remaining realistic at the same time. Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

My development was very slow, but that was nearly 3 years ago. At the time I was very fit but unknown to me I had osteoporosis and I was 59. You are a young male so you will heal much quicker I would think. Because of the condition of my bones, everything took a long time. I was in a cast for a few weeks after my op, then I went into a removeable cast, from there a airboat/ camboot. I couldn't put my foot down at all for about 3 months. I used a walking frame and did little hops or crawled on the floor. I didn't use crutches for fear of falling. I just took one day and one step at a time. I didn't force anything. When I could bear enough weight I went to one crutch and that was at about 4 months or a bit longer. I then used a walking stick. I then walked very slowly with a limp, but NO I don't limp anymore, only if I've been walking for too long, which I don't really do anyway. I had to build up my confidence because I had forgotten how to walk and I was also fearful of falling. I still get a little fearful in crowds because I'm frightened of being bowled over. I've come a long way but it was like a horror show for me. You won't be like this because you are not me. Remember you are young and you will get there. Some days I thought I would never walk again but I do and without a limp. It was a very long journey but it's not yours. Just don't overdo it. Also my foot every morning was very stiff for about 2 years when I got out of bed. I had to keep moving until it loosened up, It's not stiff anymore. Also my foot gave me many problems too. You will heal. I know what you're going through and it's not nice. Keep strong in your mind. This too WILL pass. 🙂

• Posted

Hi. I completely busted my ankle with a dislocation. My foot went one way and the stump went the other. I have 2 plates with screws and 2 long screws in the inner ankle bone. I found out through this that I have osteoporosis. This happened nearly 3 years ago. I was 59 at the time. If you are young, you should have much stronger bones and heal much quicker. Don't compare yourself to me, as each injury can heal at different rates. My bones were a mess and I had bits of bone the surgeon had to fish for and remove. I don't think he got them all. I can walk now without a limp but I don't walk a long way. I sometimes feel the 2 long screws digging in but I can't have my metal removed. I wish you a speedy recovery and you will be fine. 🙂

• Posted

I am 56 and the exact same thing happened to me (my x-rays freak people out) so your experience is very relevant to me (other than the osteoporosis). Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and hope!
  • Posted

It took me about a month to fully transition from not walking to walking with no crutches. I was able to start PT right after I got the cast off. One of the things they had me doing immediately, which greatly helped, was weight shifts. So while standing with crutches I would shift as much weight as possible on to my injured foot/ankle and then shift the weight to my good foot/ankle. I would do these shifts back and forth for a few minutes.  Over time I was able to increase how much weight I put on my injured ankle.  This helped significantly with dealing with the pain that comes from walking again.
    • Posted

very good tactic putting weight gradually while standing. so you were able to walk normally after 1 month? and when you were able to walk with 1 crutch? and when were you able to walk without any limp?
    • Posted

I was allowed to start weight bearing as tolerated with a boot on at 6 weeks post op. It took almost a week of weight shifts to build up the courage to walk w/ 2 crutches, then about a week until 1 crutch, about a week to no crutches sometimes, etc. At 12 weeks post op I was allowed to walk in regular shoes. That led to new pains and I went back to crutches for about a week. I've been in regular shoes and no crutches since mid March. I still have a small limp, but it gets better everyday. I have some pain and swelling still, but not much.

• Posted

U are still very early days listen to your body and do as much as u can, swimming is amazing for for u. I'm 15 post op went to one crutch after about 11 weeks and stopped using crutches altogether at 14 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi, I am about 7 weeks post op with a pkatexand 8 screws I was in plastercfir 3 weejs and in an air boot for further 4 weeks. At the hospital 3 days ago I was told that my xray was fine , I no longer need to wear the boot and was told to walk without crutches! And do I do walk, for a while I walk almost normally but then the stiffness gets worse, the pain returns and I start limping. I then rest, elevate and ice and the swelling goes down. I wiggle ny toes and move the ankle up and down. I have had no physio so far. Should I walk less? More? When will the swelling go down abd flexibility return?
    • Posted

so you're walking without crutches 8 weeks post the opt? that sounds amazing! did you take any PT

• Posted

Not the same maybe, since I was weight bearing right after surgery, but I had a lot of pain the first 3 days and then slowly improving. Physio told me to push through the pain, and that it is not dangerous. Just keep doing stretches and keep trying to walk, and im sure you will feel better in a week! Good luck. 
  • Posted

I got bumped from NWB for 6 weeks,and I've been on 50% WB since 5/01. ORIF was 3/13/18. I never used crutches, I had a wheelchair, now a walker. I find it easier to balance myself. Your pt should be showing you how to distribute the weight when walking. It's scary going from nwb to any amount,don't rush,let the process happen,and listen to your body when it tells you its had enough for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.