10 days post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

Just had surgery 10 days ago on both feet and don't feel too bad actually.Pain first few days but not as bad as I thought it would be. I would definitely recommend having both feet done at the same time. Getting my stitches taken out and redressing tomorrow. Hoping alls well. Will keep you posted.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jazzy

I had both of mine done 5 weeks ago. My experience has been the same as yours, not too much pain, and after two weeks the swelling had gone down. I only needed the looped ends of my stitches removed as the remaining stitches would be absorbed. It was great to have the bandages removed as they were driving me mad, they kept slipping forward when I walked about in the special shoes. It was a bit weird seeing my 'new feet' for the first time with straight toes and looking a bit Frankenstein-like, but I soon got used to them. The stitches were a bit nippy for a couple of weeks as they were settling and also the bruised nerve endings as they repair are a bit tingly, but they are manageable when painkillers are taken before the pain gets too bad. I have gradually reduced my dosage and taking 400ml Ibuprofen more often than the Co-Codamol, but no more than twice a day on average. I have metalwork holding my joints together and can move all of my other toes and minimal movement in my big toes. The scarring has started to fade, bio oil is great for helping with this and for dry skin but wait until after you can shower and your wounds have healed. I was told by the nurse who took my dressings and stitch ends off that I could shower fully, without having to have my feet propped up outside the shower as I had been doing, about 7 days later. I still use a shower chair to keep the weight off my feet and dangle my feet in a washing up bowl filled with soapy water. She also told me that I had to wear my special shoes until my next appointment with my surgeon in November. My calf muscles are certainly getting a work out wearing them! I still make sure that I spend a lot of my time with my feet elevated, which is probably why I haven't had much swelling. I am fortunate that I am in a position to do this as I am retired, my family are grown up and my husband has been very supportive - and learning how to use various household appliances to help out around the house!  I would be interested to hear how you progress over the next few weeks and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

my stitches seemed to be pretty much like yours were. Didn't really hurt just nipped. Like I've mentioned my feet look so different right now. Hope to see a change in the next few weeks

• Posted

Hi Jazzy

I was prepared for the shock at how different my feet would look by my sister and two friends who had had it done before me. It was a mixture of "OMG", "they're not my feet!", "wow, they look a bit Frankenstein" and utter joy. It must be a very common operation nowadays as nearly everyone I have met knows of someone who has had it done. My dear Mum, from who I inherited my bunions, would never even contemplate having this operation and hers got quite severely deformed. I couldn't not have it done as I didn't want this to happen to me. Anyhow, here's to everyone going through this experience and wishing a speedy recovery to you all :-)

• Posted

Hi Jazzym05353, That’s great! I'm glad all is going well for you.  To be fair I pretty much felt the same, after the first few days to a week the pain was not that bad at all I literally stayed in bed for the week and only got up to use the bathroom.  Stitches and pins taken out... Well let’s just say I lived, although it was very uncomfortable!  The 5 weeks that I was off wasn't too bad everyone pitched in and organised picking up and dropping of the children for me and ferrying me around, to and from appointments etc.  But I don’t think I would be in a hurry to do it all over again.  If it was my left foot experiencing the problem, I think I would be less stressed because at least I would still be able drive, go to work and generally get around.  The fact that it is my right foot is making my anxious, I'm hoping there is someone out there that has a similar issue which has resolved and can tell me about it.  I hope all goes well having your stitches out. 
    • Posted

Hi Tan Tan

Everything went well yesterday. Stitches came out smoothly.Others are dissolving ones. Apart from the scary looking feet right now the nurse said all looks well. Will keep you postedwink

• Posted

Hi Jazzym

I'm so glade to hear everything went well.  If your anything like me, I spent hours staring at my new toes, I still do! biggrin Please do keep me informed.  Speak soon

• Posted

I am having Hallux Rigidus correction and toe shortening of both (extra long) big toes on the 26/11. I know everyone is different but I am reassured that there are some on here that think it is tolerable! My sister had bunion surgery in May and could not stop declaring how painful it was which has made me rather nervous. Weirdly she ended up flying out to Spain on holiday during her second week, so...?

Are you fairly mobile at the moment? And what are you taking for swelling and pain?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi JJ12345

Well before I had my surgery I had tried to find out from anybody and everybody about bunion surgery and loads of research. My auntie had it done on one foot and she advised me only to get it done if I was in a lot of pain because she said she was in a lot of pain after.Especially the first week. So I was dreading it and was quite shocked when the only strong pain killers I had was tramadol at the hospital. Then ibuprofen twice at home then paracetamol then stopped and that was the 5th day after my op. So I think it's different for everybody and hope your'e one of the lucky ones.My swelling wasn't bad either. Most of it had gone down from what I could see when the nurse redressed it.Its obviously still very swollen where it's been stitched and around but the ankle swelling has gone down. I am 39. I have 4 children. Eldest 18 and youngest 11. They help around the house. Food and cooking wise I have family just living next door and across the road so I don't have to do any. Just warming food up basically. So I have quite a bit of help. I am one of those who has never sat around. Always doing something,cooking something,baking something,cleaning something, so I couldn't lie down for so long. Its been 12 days for me. I help kids in the kitchen cleaning up. Put wasing on. Fill the dishwasher. Empty it. So a fair bit of mobility.Then I do rest for about an hour or so then do a little bit more. I have heard the more you rest and raise your legs the quicker the recovery. Well I hope anyway. So good luck on the 26th nov and please keep us posted. 

• Posted

I had my op 10 days ago too, had to have my dressing changed yesterday as it was catching on my stitches and was very sore. When the nurse took the big badage off and finaly worked her way through removing all the wadding and gauze, I was horrified to see my foot. She told me the stitches were tension stitches but not sure my foot looked right, all my toes are elevated especially my big too. It feels like they want to ping. Is this normal. It's such an intense feeling and really hard to describe. I have attached a picture. I am due to have my stitches out tomorrow so I am hoping my foot will feel a bit better. The one thing that I did notice was there was very little swelling smile I am being good and wearing the shoe provided and I have just finished 10 days worth of Diclofenic. Which probably helped. It feels less painful since the dressing was changed but much more uncomfortable. But that's probably because the nurse hasn't padded it out like they did after the surgery. Have attached a before and after pic so you can see what I mean about the stitches. Does it look normal to you? 
    • Posted

Hi Beanie

My second toes were slightly elevated as well once the cast was off so don't worry. Hopefully once they start to feel a bit flexible they should be okay. May take a bit of time though. As to the stitches I'm not so sure because mine are dissolving ones they do look a lot different to yours. I suppose every surgeons different too. If you're still worried tomorrow make sure you ask questions . Good luck !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.