10 days post op - ab and pelvic floor exercises?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm 10 days post abdominal sub total hysterectomy and just wondered how soon and how often you all carried out the ab and pelvic floor exercises?

My tummy and particularly my down below bikini area have been extremely bruised and swollen so although I've done some of the exercises, I've not done them numerous times a day....

Obviously the stronger I get, the more I'll do and I had a really strong core prior to surgery where I went to the gym and Pilates etc.

Just wondered what your thoughts/experiences are?

Thanks

Jess

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My reply is not very helpful but I just wanted to say that sadly I got very little advice, which seems poor practice!
    • Posted

That's a real shame Catherine. I'm just going to do them when I feel ok for now...

• Posted

Yes, it seems very shortsighted as I would have thought that if you do the correct exercises you are less likely to have another prolapse!

I did find a good site on the internet though. I don't know if anyone has sites they would recommend re exercises post hysterectomy? X

• Posted

I'm not sure when you were instructed to do these exercises, but I'd be surprised if you were told to do them right after surgery.  

When I had my surgery, I was told not to lift anything heavier than a milk carton for the first six weeks, and then, just to try moderate walking. I was also told up to six months for internal stitches.  Your insides need to knit together and heal, so I suggest you check and see when you're supposed to begin them! xx

• Posted

Thanks Lynda. The physio said to do them straight away....
    • Posted

Okay, I was concerned because at 3 weeks a stitch popped in my vaginal cuff.  I woke up bleeding and had to go to the ER.  

Just be gentle with yourself, okay?  xx

• Posted

Omg Lynda that's awful.

Yes, well I'm not too worried about doing the exercises too soon, there's plenty of time ahead and my core was strong prior to the op.

I may just ring the hospital to double check anyway...

I kept my cervix so I don't think I have a vaginal cuff.

X

• Posted

Hi, there!  Well, I'm glad to learn that you have a strong core...good for you!

I have my cervix, too, I think that the vaginal cuff may be above that....

Please let me know what the hospital says, will you?  I was "relatively" healthy in 2015, but I haven't been very active since then, unless you count walking!  xx smile

• Posted

Well walking is great exercise and gentle too so definitely the best for us post op.

My surgeon said I should be back exercising at the gym by week 6! I'll be surprised if I am.

I didn't ring the hospital in the end as I re-read the fit following surgery leaflet they gave me and it said to start the pelvic floor exercises after your catheter is out. It then said to start the abdominal exercises on day 2/3 after the op!

Must be ok then...., I'm only going to do a few light ones though as I don't want to overdo anything.

• Posted

Thank you so much for checking. i just got diagnosed with osteoporosis, so I'm ordering a pilates program dvd.  

Good for you, stay healthy--it's not easy to get it back at going on 68! xxx

• Posted

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Lynda. Is that as a result of your hysterectomy do you think? When did you have yours?

Good for you getting a Pilates dvd. It's never too late to start exercising. I'd definitely recommend Pilates and yoga, I love both. I found Pilates a fantastic core strengthener and you can generally work to differing levels to suit your needs and capabilities😉

I am 41yrs old and have really got into my gym classes the last year, going 4-5 times a week with a mixture of body conditioning (aerobics, strengthening and hand weights), pure core, fitness pilates and Booty attack. I really miss it but am grateful that I was fit prior to the op and I have the goal of recovery so I can get back there, slowly of course! Xx

• Posted

Thanks, I really don't think my hysterectomy had much to do with it directly!  I had mine in 2016, and they removed everything, including some lymph nodes, because I had cancer.  I was staged at 1a, though, so that was good news.  

Keep up all your good work.  It certainly will help you later on in life! smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.