10 Days Post-Surgery - WOW!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi group, I was diagnosed with Achalasia over a year ago.  It was bad. Constant regurge, I'm already thin but lost 20 pounds over 12 months . I "managed" by drinking protein shakes, staying very busy and rarely eating more than a couple bites in public so I wouldn't have to run to the bathroom. My job and my band had me booked quite heavily and I felt that I has to fulfill those obligations. Top it off, silly as it sound, I enjoy wearing a bikini and was worried about the scars from the lapriscopic instruments.  What a nut I was!!!!

I finally had to schedule to the Heller Myotomy with Dor Fundolipication and on Nov 28 had it performed by Dr Adrian Park, Annapolis MD. The operation was a success the doctor told me.  I had some awful post-surgery spasms but powered through. I was on clear liquids for 7 days and have now graduated to pureed food.

I am very pleased to say, I have no regurgitation, hardly any incision pain, little difficulty getting a big breath but the best part is...I can eat again.

I'm getting stronger every day and feel NORMAL again.

My family is relieved.  I am THRILLED.

I urge those of you struggling with Achalasia to get with a good surgeon and put this awful disorder behind you.  HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH!!! cheesygrin

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

By the way, the 6 incision scars are tiny. Who cares! They are badges on honor for having made it to the other side of the Achalasia nightmare.  
  • Posted

That IS good news!  Well done!   Do you have any problems with spasms still?
    • Posted

When I first got home from the hospital, I was not drinking very much water. I had two-three spasms per day.  Upon my doctor's suggestion, I now drink a 12 oz glass of water with each of my 5-6 little meals each day and am spasm free. I believe that hydration is the key.

• Posted

Happy to hear about your recovery. I understand what a devastating effect this disease has on you and your family too.
    • Posted

I have to admit that I was unaware how upset my family was about how I was getting by.  Now that it is behind me, they all have shared how worried and helpless they had felt with my loss of weight, constant regurgitation and change in my usual positive demeanor.  It was a heavy weight for them to carry.. 
  • Posted

That’s. excellent news, one I totally agree with after having the operation 4 years ago. 
  • Posted

Well Done biggrin

I'm 5 weeks post POEM and remember Very well my first bit of food NOT coming back up again cheesygrin

All being well, you will get better and better and better............

Before my op I'd lost 35 pounds in 11 months, in the last 5 weeks I've regained 16 pounds just by being able to eat normally.

cool
  • Posted

You are what I needed today.  I am 8 days past the identical surgery to you and I'm becoming discouraged because  I do still have some regurge.   I struggle to get some protein shakes down because it's been two weeks now since I've had much of any food except protein shakes and clear liquid.  I need to go back to work next week and I am a bit concerned by the energy levels required for that - I definitely do not have that coming back yet.  I have little pain either on all 6 incisions, but I do still struggle with a deep breath.  That is getting better though.  I just need to hear it will get better and hope my energy comes back - SOON!

• Posted

Keep positive Linda, it does get incrementally better.  I feel human again.  I am still a bit short of breath and my food choices are still limited but everyday is better!  I went back to work after 2 weeks.  I probably should have stayed out an additional week but I managed okay.  I am now in recovery week 5 and feeling healthy!
  • Posted

Hi Group, Just an update.  I am now 5 weeks post HM surgery and doing well.  I am able to eat more foods including well-cooked veggies, chicken, cooked potatoes and drink liquids without any problem.  It feels so good not to have to run to the bathroom at mealtimes. I'm not a big fan of ice cream but have been eating an occasional bowl to help put some weight back on.  I am working on strengthening my breathing as I feel like I still cannot get a full breath. Get over the fears about surgery, go see your doctor and join the living again!  Love and support to you all.  This group really helps us all. HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.