Skip to content

Oesophageal Achalasia and Spasm

Also known as Achalasia, Difficulty Swallowing, Dysphagia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Living with achalasia.

Hello to all. First let me say to all that I know exactly what you're going through. I don't have this disorder, my son does. I'll try to be as thorough as possible so all questions you might have will be answered. My Son s 19 years old. And after numerous tests and doctors …

Last reply
  • Does anyone have relief for chest pain?

Hey, Everyone. I’m new here and I’m looking for help. I was diagnosed with achalasia very young. I had the Heller Myotomy when I was 12 years old and I’m now 26. My esophagus has since tightened back up and eating is very difficult, but it is nothing compared to the chest pain I get. I’ve been …

Last reply
  • Muscle problems or anxiety

Hi everyone so start I am 16 and I need answers like now. So I started with anxiety during November and sometimes I would get panic attacks while eating with family so I would be unable to eat and then since feburary of 2018 I started to to fear eating. I don’t even know why but I started fearing …

Last reply
  • Achalasia & Energy Crashing

Its been awhile since I put a post on this Forum.  So, with the Achalasia, for the past 2 years, it has always been around 3:30-5pm, that my energy just seems to drain out, and at a loss for a better word, I 'crash.'  I will have an Supplemental drink and some peanut-butter …

Last reply
  • My 2nd Manometry Test

Hi Guys,   I have a dysphagia and had it for past 4.5 month. I went through so many tests and still did not find out what type of dysphagia I am suffering with... When it started my manometry/endoscopy/barium test came out to be normal but suspicious with esophageal spasm. so I thought I was …

Last reply
  • Achalasia and post nasal drip

Hi i was diagnosed with achalasia back in 1995 and had two balloon dilations within a 1 year period. I had terribl trouble getting diagnosed and then after the two dilations was just left to get on with it. Finally in 2011 i was sent to the royal london hospital for a monometry test and was …

Last reply
  • 16 y/o male, problem swallowing

Hello to anyone reading this, my name is Sam and for over a year I have had problems swallowing. It mostly happens when I eat hamburgers/hotdogs and the like, but it can happen with other foods aswell. I'm kind of a neurotic when it comes to diseases but recently on a long spur of mayo clinic …

Last reply
  • Achalasia & Phlegm

Wondering if anyone has experienced the following.  I'm just getting over laryngitis caused by flowering lilac trees....the fragrance takes my voice.  With all this, the sinuses of course, become involved, and there is phlegm.  I am type 1 Achalasia, with a 'dead' …

Last reply
  • Dysphagia ....

Hi guys. I was having swallowing difficulties for 3 months. I have done all the tests in Korea except biopsy endo. These are my symptoms 1) gets full really quick  2) shortness of breathe 3) throat uncomfortable feels like throat muscle is weakened recently sometimes get choked. 4)  food …

Last reply
  • Achalasia and POEM treatment in UK

Hi all. I'm about to have POEM treatment for Achalasia and have been posting on other pages, but as there doesn't seem to be a 'blow by blow' account of anyones tests, treatment and results, so I thought I would put mine out there for everyone else who has to go through this crap, …

Last reply
  • 4 months now Dysphagia

Hi guys I really want to know what I am currently suffering. 1) Dry mouth 2) Mouth and jaw get tired easily 3) Swallowing throat weakened (recently developed) 4) Fatigue 5) Food does not go down or stuck or goes down with gravity. 6) random throat and esophagus tightness 7) rare regurgitation 8) …

Last reply
  • suffer from Achalasia

I would be really appreciated if any one gives my some helpful tips. Doctores diagnosed  Achalasia (Type 2) by checking my Manometry and Endoscopy tests. I vomit Water every day. It comes out fast and from both my mouth and noise. It happens even I do not drink water or etc which it seems …

Last reply
  • Constantly worried !!!

I have had achalasia for about 20 years with fairly successful myotomy surgery ; can swallow more or less any food as long as I drink plenty of water to help wash down ; my problem is that I constantly worry about getting oesophageal cancer as I heard that this was a risk of achalasia ?? Have …

Last reply
  • Achalasia and Paleo AIP Diet - Any luck?

I am recently diagnosed with Achalasia and I am still pending test results to tell me what type I have. I have had this for 1 year before finally getting the right diagnosis. In my research, I started wondering if anyone has had any symptom improvement or even remission with an autoimmune diet …

Last reply
  • FAILED POEM - OPTIONS???

Hello all: I had the POEM procedure done on April 15th of this year. For about 6 weeks i was pretty good. Then i thought i was getting acid reflux but it was not acid reflux it turned out it was food fermenting at the bottom of the esophagus. Or at least that is what we think now. I am right back …

Last reply
  • Haven’t eaten food in weeks, tight throat, nausea

Hey everyone. My symptoms started when I got braces put on earlier this year. I started to have difficulty eating certain foods like spinach, celery, melted cheese, etc. I started avoiding going to restaurants as it would take me forever to chew my food and even then- I feared I would choke on it. …

Last reply
  • Achalasia

I've been seeing a gastrointestinologist since October of 2016 still waiting on a recommendation of a surgeon that can perform poem and fix an inverted stomach. In my opinion this is taking way too long I've been living on baby food Boost energy drinks and unable to eat much of anything …

Last reply
  • Achalasia or Not

I have had swallowing problems (both solid food and liquids), severe chest pain, throwing up, dilations, etc., over the last year. I have had three dilations in one year, each time when I have been unable to swallow food and liquids for 3-4 weeks. I dropped 30 pounds the first two months this …

Last reply
  • Any advice please

Hi I have been suffering for nearly a year now started with a chest infection and then a feeling of food being stuck in throat and gullet, regurgitating food and drinks all the time even with anti sickness tablets, lost over 3 stone, had manometry which showed 6 out of 10 swallows ok 4 no good, …

Last reply
  • POEM available in Toronto

Hello friends, I want to use this thread to connect with other Achalasia patients in Canada and especially to let them know about the availability of POEM (Per Oral Endoscopic Myotomy) in Toronto. A bit about myself to begin with: I am a 31 yo female who started experiencing swallowing …

Last reply
  • Esophageal spasms wont go away!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I found this site as well you all my name is Chiffon I'll be 34 on the 29th. Anyway I was diagnosed officially after a year of terrible nausea and pain in August 2012 with Gastritis and Esophagitis. Up until this year in June I thought it was the gastritis causing the pain. I have …

Last reply
  • Problems swallowing, GP believes it is anxiety but...

For the last year I have had severe problems swallowing, anything more than soup, porridge or tinned mince and powdered potatoes causes me terrible problems, I have lost 6 stone in this whole year. I have been for endoscopy -clear, barium swallow-clear- and a stomach scan which is also clear. …

Last reply
  • POEM in the UK

Hi, I've been suffering from achalasia for the past two years. I have had a hellers myotomy which helped initially but then my symptoms returned. Last week I had a balloon dilatation which unfortunately doesn't seem to have worked.  After reading about POEM, I was …

Last reply
  • Heller myotomy for achalasia

Hi Need some feedback on this. My husband has just had this operation. I know this is very early days and he knows it is a long process on soft foods before having anything solid but even drinking water it seems to go down slowly. I expect this is because everything is sore and swollen and perhaps …

Last reply
  • I haven’t eaten in a month... what to do?

Hi everyone. It all started when I had to chew my food for a really long time and avoid certain foods. I became uncomfortable going to restaurants because I was afraid I would choke on it the food (things like spinach,celery, melted cheese). This got progressively worse over the course of a …

Last reply
  • Dysphagia, belching, nausea, weight loss from not eating

Hey everyone. My symptoms started when I got braces put on earlier this year. I started to have difficulty eating certain foods like spinach, celery, melted cheese, etc. I started avoiding going to restaurants as it would take me forever to chew my food and even then- I feared I would choke on …

Last reply
  • I haven’t been able to eat for a month.. Dysphagia

Hi everyone. My symptoms started when I got braces put on earlier this year. I started to have difficulty eating certain foods like spinach, celery, melted cheese, etc. I started avoiding going to restaurants as it would take me forever to chew my food and even then- I feared I would choke on it. …

Last reply
  • Poem Sugery Cost

Dear Robert, Could you pls let me know the total fee for Poem Procedure by Dr. Haru Inoue in Janpan? I would like to go there for Poem Surgery. However, the cost is really a big problem for me. Thank you so much

Posted
  • Sinus and disorientation

Hi, anybody know if their is a connection with sinus and feeling disorientated. This could last for a few mins or just a few seconds. My wife suffers from sinus and migraine headaches from time to time and sometimes wakes up not knowing what's going on, where she is and generally being confused. …

Posted
  • Poem procedure cost

I also have achalasia for 4 years. I would like go to Showa University hospital in Japan for Poem procedure. Anyone pls kinldy let me know the total cost of Poem Surgery in Janpan. Thank you so much

Posted
  • Achalasia & Esophagus removal

I would like to hear from anyone who has had their esophagus removed, and stomach pulled up, for 'Achalasia', only .  I would like to hear your experiences, advice and so forth.

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.