Achalasia is almost unbearable

Posted , 3 users are following.

My story.

It started around 15 years ago with this sudden pain in my chest when i was at the dining table eating my dinner with my family. I was panic stricken and ran to the bathroom where I threw up.

this became more regular so I went to the doctor . She sent me for a endoscopic procedure and I was diagnosed with reflux disease. Medication was prescribed. It didnt work. I tried different ones over many years and nothing worked. I had these "attacks" as I called them for many years that would occur every few months. swallowing became difficult too. The pain was so excruciating at times I just wanted to die. I changed my diet and stopped eating many different foods bread, tomatoes, citrus fruits, meat and eventually realized I was on a very limited soft diet. My weight dropped, I was tired a lot of the time and I feared the next attack.

This year I decided it was time to reinvestigate so I contacted my GP. I was referred for an endoscopy again and I was so afraid. The procedure failed as I could not relax or have any anaesthetic due to low blood pressure. I was sent the following week for a barium meal which went ok but I immediately threw up afterwards. I was in a lot of pain in my chest nothing would stay down.

I was admitted to hospital two days later with severe dehydration. I was totally out of it and could barely walk.

The doctors fully investigated and diagnosed Achalasia. I couldnt believe it. After years of being turned away being told its indegestion and reflux it had come to this!

I was in hospital for almost two weeks awaiting a decision on treatment but told it could be a while.

Iasked if I could wait at home as I could not stand the isolation of the hospital. It was a slow recovery due to the severe malnutrition and dehydration.

That was April its now August and still no procedure. Im told it should be in two weeks so I continue to suffer and havent been to work in almost four months. Im on a liquid diet of ensures, custard, homemade broth, soya deserts and cups of tea, I basically have very little energy and barely leave my apartment.

There is a lot more to my story and this is just a summary!

I was not given any help on how to deal with this disease. My mental health is very poor. I am anxious, depressed and feel like such a burden to my wonderful boyfriend(we dont live together) I feel I should end the relationship but he will not hear of it.

Im so exhausted by it I just want to be normal .

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I thought (and my doctor) thought I had GERD (acid reflux) as well. Turned out to be achalasia, which was easier to diagnose as the symptoms progressed.

I have not had surgery but had great success using chelated magnesium. See the other post on that for more details. Best wishes to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.