Hellers Myotomy operation or not?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was finally diagnosed with Achalasia in March 2021 after many years of stomach issues and multiple endoscopies. My consultant has recommend Hellers Myotomy and Nissen Fundoplication. He stated results were esophagus muscles showed 100% failure and LES 30% effective.

However I have a BMI of 29 and do not suffer issues with swallowing food or drink frequently and have managed with these issues for years.

I do suffer with the sudden onset of spasms that come on with no obvious trigger and radiate to my spine. The pain is excruciating and only drinking fluids helps.

So my dilema is, do I decline the operation (risk of operation and post operative issues) or decide to bite the bullet and have it?

My gut feeling (excuse the pun) is to decline it. But I am unsure of the medical risks and impact on future investigations and solutions by the NHS.

Any responses greatly appreciated

Thanks

Greg

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Greg, I have the same dilemma about whether or not to go through with the operation. The only thing I really can't swallow is rice, but I have a lot of painful spasms and problems with night time reflux symptoms. Did you decide whether to go through with the operation of not? I would be interested to hear how you are doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.