10 days postop

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had cataract surgery on right eye and the Symfony lens implanted. I work in a medical lab and the lights are very bright. My left eye is having a hard time keeping up with the new eye. My eyes feel really strained. I put sunglasses on and it seems to help. Has anyone else had this problem? I am supposed to have the same thing done to the left eye on Feb 13th

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I had my right eye done on November 18th and my left eye done on December 5th. It does get better. I feel a little more normal everyday. Sunglasses are wonderful to help in bright light.

I am a merchandiser and spend my days going into grocery stores. The fluorescents were horrible the first several weeks. I am also a full time student and spend a large amount of time reading and on a computer. The feeling of eye strain also improves over time.

• Posted

This is a common issue after cataract surgery with any IOL, most people find the world quite a bit brighter. The clouded cataract lens reduced the light entering your eye compared to a clear natural lens, or an IOL. Your visual system adapted to having less light and it will take a while to adapt back, though that varies with the person. I had to turn down the brightness all the way on my computer monitors for a number of weeks (and then I never noticed a need to turn it up, merely that it was ok to do so). I never felt a need for sunglasses indoors, but everyone's sensitivity differs.

For me the light sensitivity noticeably reduced after the first week, though the world continued to seem brighter in a  good way.  Oddly the brightness from headlights at night seemed less bothersome than they used to before surger,  less glare,  even when I was still a bit light sensitive.

I still tend to   need sunglasses perhaps slightly more than I used to, though of course its important to wear them even when you don't feel a need  since you still need to protect your eye from UV.  I have noticed actually that I find the sunglasses I got prior to having cataracts too dark now, things seem clearer with a slightly less dark tint. 

• Posted

Hi Deborah, you are on the righ page for help and advice, you didnt say when you had your eye op, if its this month you will have to let it settle this cant take a few weeks so give it time, have you finished your drops.  Please let us know 

Regars Agnes

• Posted

Wow..ll credit to you for going back to work while eyes settle. The brain does take tome to adjust and although it seems such a minor op..it isnt. Healing takes time.Now ive had my second eye done I dont notice as much eye strain this fime. However I find i suffer with what i can only assume is smthg akin to motion sickness while my eyes adjust to the level of vision and clarity i noe have. The brain id a complex organ and the eye is also very complex. Considering it is the one organ that is the same size from birth it is no wonder this is much more of a major operation than we realise. The fact we can see no wound sight and it does not result in others noticing a visible reduction in use while adapting there is no wonder we do not appreciate the healing time involved.
    • Posted

Apologies for typo errors as my eyesight is still adjuating to nearsight.
    • Posted

Hi Susan I had a cataract operation on the 1 st of November last. Year so nearly three months ago now ,I agree the healing and recovery time is longer than people realise I suffered a bleed during the operation and my recovery was slower due to this I returned to work as a full time clinical lead nurse manager after three weeks and have found that quite tough the hours are long the lights very bright and working with a computer screen can be challenging at times , I am fortunate in that I wear a contact lense in my left eye so need reading glasses for reading and computer work , these irritate me at times and have caused headaches .

It does take about two to three months for full recovery the affected eye does take time to adjust to bright lights,and night driving has proved difficult ,its not always explained to you at the time of the operation how your recovery will progress and what to expect . My left eye is due to be operated on this year I was thinking at one point of next month but have decided to wait until November at the earliest , it is not a simple procedure and recovery takes time .

• Posted

Well done to you for being so positive. Yes no one explains the timelines or recory time . Thankfully i changed my decision to have mine done whilst work shut for 3 weeks. Had i gone ahead i would have lost several weeks work. As a retired nurse i now do seasonal tourism employment which i love. Thankfully my decision to wait till january was worthwhile. It will be after our hol abroad in march that i will be able to sort presc glasses.

I return to work in april for the start of the new season. I know that both eyes can be done on same day. However it must compound the difficulties which could arise from any complications. Mine were planned two weeks apart and turned into three weeks apart due to surgeons commitments. You only have one pair of eyes. They are precious. I akso feel very firtunate to have been first on list each time.

• Posted

I too find sunglasses help whethrr its sunny or not and indoors whether lights full or dimmed. It does help my eyes ferl less strained. With first eye i used them when out and about for two weeks and then next eye and i am doing likewise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.