10 days since emergency splenectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's 10 days since I had a fall and ended up needing an emergency splenectomy. The whole experience has been pretty scary. Anyway, I'm out of hospital and healing well, if slowly. Staples came out today and I'm booked in for vaccinations in a few days.

The thing that's worrying me most is all the information about infections and OPSI. I can't sleep because my brain keeps calculating the odds of coming down with a serious infection.

I might feel better once I've got my head round the whole thing, but can anyone offer me any advice or words of reassurance? How worried should I be about OPSI?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Olive, 

I totally get where you're coming from. I had my spleen removed last May and was terrified. I felt like I had no one to talk to and my doctors weren't very reassuring because it was their job to tell me the dangers. That said, let me tell you that now I am thriving and living a normal life again. My fear is disappearing little, by little, day by day, as I expose myself to the normal things we encounter in everyday life. 

After you've had your vaccinations the risk of getting OPSI is extremely low (I think 1-2%). I believe it drops a bit more after 3 years. I have increased the amount I wash my hands and I've asked those I live with to wash theirs immediately when they enter the house so I can at least feel safe there. I've stopped touching my eyes, etc. Just normal stuff they advise you to do to avoid getting colds/flu. Once I got used to it it was really not a big deal at all. I do stay away from sick people. If someone is coughing or sneezing I make sure to get away from them. The first flu season I encountered I wore a medical mask a number of times -- flying, on public transportation, in hospitals. I still keep one with me when I'm traveling. I keep hand sanitizer with me too and use it often but it's become really normal for me. 

If you don't have any other major health problems, keep up on your vaccinations, and take some easy precautions you will be fine! I never would have believed it myself but here I am, living again and planning my future. Try not to worry yourself too much, eat healthy, sleep, do things that keep your immune system strong. 

It may take a while to recover after your surgery, be patient and gentle with yourself. 

Fun facts: lots of football players lose their spleens and are fine, I found out my neighbor doesn't have her spleen and she's been fine for 15 years, my dentist's father doesn't have his spleen and he is absolutely find and in his 60s. When I feel scared I remember those people! :-) 

• Posted

Dear Amber,

Thanks so much for your reply - it really helped to put my mind at rest. I'm finding there's not a great deal of info out there, so it's brilliant to be able to talk to someone in the same position.

Out of interest: do you keep stronger antibiotics at home as some websites suggest? Do you call the doctor as soon as you feel remotely unwell? I've been so healthy in the past that it's going to feel strange calling my GP at the first sign of a sniffle!

Thank you again - it means a lot,

Olive

• Posted

Hi Olive, I had my splenectomy 20 years ago this year following a sports injury. OPSI is possible but really unlikely. Get your vaccinations - make sure that includes sepsis vaccine. Take antibiotics and avoid obvious risks - e.g. food hygiene. I get a strep throat about once a year but double antibiotic has always cleared it - even if a bit slower than in the past.

There are side effects and it does affect your wellbeing at times, but for me it has not been life changing just something I live with. I’ll send on a couple of good links when i’m on the PC.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Wheelo,

Thanks so much for your reply. Hearing from people who are getting on with life is so reassuring, and if you ever get chance to send those links, I'd be really grateful.

All the best,

Olive

• Posted

Olive,

here's a couple of easy to follow articles that I found helpful

http://www.healthchallengewales.org/sitesplus/documents/1052/A%20Guide%20for%20People%20Without%20a%20Working%20Spleen%20-%20WEB%20%28English%29.pdf

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/factsheets/Pages/spleen-removal.aspx

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/preventing-severe-infection-after-splenectomy-beyond-the-basics

https://patient.info/health/the-spleen/preventing-infection-after-splenectomy

My top tips would be:

- Vaccinate

- Antibiotics

- no undercooked food (especially burgers)

- hand sanitizer

- good hygiene

- good general health

- find a GP who understands your concerns and attend if any obvious issues (sore throat, flu like symptoms etc)

- be careful of open cuts, scratches and handling animals

- follow travel advice

- live as normally as all the above allows

Good Luck

Dave

• Posted

Thanks Dave, that's great. This afternoon I had my first 4 vaccinations, then in two months time I go back for the Men ACWY and Men B booster. Wish I could have had the Men ACWY today but was told I had to wait: would've had more peace of mind if I could have had them all at once!

Many thanks again

• Posted

yes I read before that having them at the same time is not recommended - well if it's any comfort, a couple of those vaccines didn't exist when I had my surgery and I had no issues - but I was very pleased when they came along - especially Sepsis one.

I completely understand your worries and it still plays on my mind especially if something new comes along - SARS & Bird Flu are 2 that spring to mind. I had to travel to Brazil for work recently and was told I should get Yellow Fever shots, but when I looked it up, the vaccine is not really safe for us asplenics! But as an actuary said to me a few years ago, they don't increase premiums for  life assurance policies for asplenia which is the best indicator that life expectancy is statistically not impacted by it.

If there's anything else I can help with please reach out, there can be longer term less serious issues that are a drag and if I can help in any way I am happy to.

Stay Well

Dave

• Posted

Hi Guys, 

That's funny - I just went through the entire life insurance application process with medical exam and the full health history workup and was surprised and very happy to learn that asplenia is a non-issue. 

Olive, we here in the US do not take low dose antibiotics as they do with most people in Oz. There are differing opinions on both efficacy and anti-biotic resistance. I do however, have broad spectrum, stronger antibiotics on hand for emergencies (like say, if I'm out of cell phone range or traveling and come down with a fever or get bitten by a dog). I had one fever the first year and called the advice nurse who kept an eye on me for a day while I waited to see my GP. It ended up clearing on its own, no antibiotics necessary. I only see the doctor if I feel some sort of infection -- chest/respiratory, bladder, cut, definitely a dog bite. 

Like Wheelo I do have fear from things like SARS and Zika. One thing that has made me feel a ton better is deciding that I wouldn't travel anywhere that has mosquito born illnesses or with questionable food and water safety. I turned down a job that would have required me to travel to India 2x/year. 

I follow a lot of the same hygiene practices he does (and he was very helpful to me too when this happened last year!). I sanitize my hands a lot and try not to touch my eyes at all. 

Take care of yourself and try not to worry. --A

• Posted

Would you say I’d be OK to fly 3 weeks post surgery? I won’t have had the Men ACWY vaccination but I have had the others. It’s a 2 hour flight for me. We’ve had tickets booked for ages but I obviously don’t want to put myself at unnecessary risk. I suppose I’m nervous of picking something up on the plane or getting sick while I’m there. Thanks in advance!
  • Posted

Olive, I wouldn't be nervous of OPSI, but I would get medical clearance that the wound / scar is healed adequately in terms of lifting a bag and being in a pressurized cabin. There's nothing to stop you wearing a mask for the flight if OPSI is on your mind.

One of the other issues I had for several months after surgery was sudden bouts of extreme tiredness when I did a bit too much, so don't expect too much of yourself in terms of overall well being in the short term.   

• Posted

I think it will be a very restful week if I can manage the flight. Am thinking the sunshine would do me good! I'm seeing my GP tomorrow so will triple check! Thanks again for being kind enough to respond

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.