Skip to content

Spleen Disorders and Splenectomy

All discussions in this group

Next
  • amber82773 2

Being Around Sick People

Hello All. I'm so happy to have found this group. Thank you for all your advice. My question is about being around people who are ill. When going over to friends' houses do you ask about every member of the household and leave if someone has been or is sick?  How do you handle it if someone in your...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • elizabeth46338 3

Spleen and adrenal removal

I recently (4 days) had both operated on and taken out.  I am just trying to touch base with any other people who have had this as I feel a bit at a loss. I had a knee replaced a couple of years ago and found the help and support of the group to be so helpful. I feel as if my kidneys are not wroking...

10 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • milguygirl 1

Swimming pools

Hi.  I had a splenectomy in August '16 due to haemolytic anaemia.I've had all vaccinations & take Erythromicin every day. I was told by my hospital consultant to avoid swimming pools. I'm going to the Canary Islands next week & am staying in a private villa with a pool. I asked my GP if if it was ok...

11 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • matt1011 2

Post splenectomy. Tiredness?

I took a fall, skateboarding a few months back and broke 2 ribs and was discharged. A few nights later my spleen ruptured in the night, I was taken to hospital and had my spleen removed that night. 4 months on and I am pretty much fully recovered, although this was the worst thing I have ever experienced...

9 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • beauty43152 1

suffering form enlarge spleen problem

my name is beauty i am 28 years old last 10 years i am suffering form enlarge spleen problem my spleen size in 23 cm that way my platelate is all time low near about 40,000 to 60,000 and my WBC count 1500 to 2800 plzz help me i am so worred for my life plzzzzz help me

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • AnnAdams 2

asplenia and dentist etc.etc. etc.!!!!

hello, I had an emergency surgery to remove my spleen 4 months ago due to a botched colonoscopy. I also found out I had mild/moderate colitits. My dentist said i need antibiotics for all dental work including cleaning my teeth. My primary care and her friend an infectious disease docy told the dentist...

1 reply 1 vote Last reply
  • Luke808 1

Spleen Hurts

Hello! This is urgent. I don't want my mom to know, however, have told a trusted gaurdian. Yesterday, I was in a game of basketball at school, and a larger kid came at me and when my arms were up elbowed me(Pretty hard) right under my rib cage and in that tender place between your hip and ribs. It's...

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Damzie 2

Post- splenectomy Pains

I had an emergency splenectomy in 2013 due to the trauma to my left side in a pretty bad accident. My spleen was ruptured and it had to be taken out to save me. But I've been having pains in my abdomen...begins on the left side and grows from that point to my back and other parts of my abdomen. I've...

6 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • AnnAdams 2

emergency splenectomy -so scared

hello, I hademergencysurgery for a splenectomy due toalacerated spleen duringa colonoscopy. It wasa month ago.I am terrifed with fearofgetting sepsis. I can't really take prophylaxis low dose antibiotics every day because I have colitis and the Gi doc is afraid of cdiff caused by broad spectrum antibiotics....

8 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • samantha86654 1

Spleen removal

So 10 months ago I had my spleen removed while I was 34 weeks pregnant due to a splenic aneurysm. I spent a week in the ICU and when they discharged me just said I needed shots every year. The more I'm looking online I'm seeing people taking penicillin and antibiotics but every time I ask the dr when...

4 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • jocelyn123 2

Daily antibiotics

I've had spleenectomy 14 yrs ago, my family doctor doesn't think I need daily antibiotics but other doctors seem to think I should be on a daily dose of antibiotics. i get sick a lot and develop secondary infections as a result. Can anyone tell me if they are on a daily dose of antibiotics?

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • pam 2212 2

Asplenia...

I am 57 yr old female and two weeks ago had my spleen removed. Looking for others with same . I want to know how you have lived day to day with this ... Admitting to being a little spooked by whole thing . Cheers Pam

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • cmw76 2
  • hannah54008 1

Splenectomy and doctors

I had a splenectomy at about 18 months old after being involved in a car accident. 23 years on I take my penicillin when myself or people around me are ill. I am always so cautious when I'm ill and visit the doctor because for every illness going, websites such as the NHS one always say if you have no...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • jocelyn123 2

Daily antibiotics

I've had spleenectomy 14 yrs ago, my family doctor doesn't think I need daily antibiotics but other doctors seem to think I should be on a daily dose of antibiotics. i get sick a lot and develop secondary infections as a result. Can anyone tell me if they are on a daily dose of antibiotics?

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • steph63211 1

Spleen on wrong side

Hello Wondered if anyone has come across this, I recently had a scan regarding my 2 failed IVF cycles. Whilst I was being scanned the nurse was getting herself into a bit of a tiz, turns out my spleen is on my right side rather than left. This is causing my liver to be very centre rather than to the...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • gilly1446 2

total left hip replacement

hi i am new to all of this.  i just wanted some reasurance really.  i have been placed on the waiting list.  to have a total left hip replacement in may 2015.  i have watched a few videos regarding this surgery on youtube.  i have watched 4 videos on hip replacement so far.  and i have seen videos of...

• kaliberr 1

Spleen support with supplements? Bovine spleen?

My son, 8 years old, had an emergency splenectomy 7 months ago due to torsion and something rare called a "wandering spleen" (never attached since birth). We had no idea until it became torsed and enlarged to the size of a football. His is a very rare case and they are actually using it to teach about...

• emmza83 1

Am I in for a life time of problems?

I had a splenectomy september last year. It was spontaneous, and I was only told when I woke up in hospital a day after what had happened, as no-one knew what was going on. Im now on penecillin twice a day for the rest of my life. Ive had my flu jabs and things, and I am careful when I get ill and up...

• jeango2015 1

Immune System Support

I initially came across this site because I was trying to find out more information about recovering from pneumonia when you have no spleen. I had my spleen removed in 2013 due to a sudden onset of an autoimmune disorder called idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura or ITP. For 5 months I tried multiple...

• nicola22764 1
  • Sarah43903 1

Emegency Splenectomy - Request for Information

A few months ago, I was rear-ended by a drunk driver. This crash resulted in a lacerated spleen, a bruised pancreas, and the loss of about half of my blood. My spleen was not salvageble, so it was completely removed in order to save my life. I am exeedingly gateful to be alive, but I am left with many...

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • mariecress 2
  • adrian46659 1
  • karen40 1

splenectomy

hi i was wondering if anyone knows if i can get a splenectomy card or something i can carry with me to tell anyone i have had it removed xx

5 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • gregrogers 1

Splenectomy because of oversized spleen age 45

I am also going to be going for a Splenectomy because of oversized spleen, and I'm takin the vaccines now before going into surgery in a months time. My prob is I go for blood transfusions, and my hemoglobin keeps dropping, as my spleen acts like a big squid with tentecles and keeps alot of the blood...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • stellapearl 1

AM I AT RISK OF THROMBOSIS?

I am a 45-year-old female. I had my spleen removed (open surgery) two and a half months ago due to a huge lymphangioma which was discovered by accident. I have been following doctor's orders about vaccinations, as well as penicillin injections for the next 3 months (6 months in total.) I also had anticoagulant...

• pam60654 2

Splenectomy, long term use of penicillian V

I had a splenectomy 12 years ago and I have been on a daily dose of penicillin V ever since. Has anyone had any side effects from the Pen V? In particular thinning of the hair and skin? Constant anxiety and poor sleep patterns. i may be clutching at straws but this is the only Med that I have not tried...

• AnnieCD 1

Life after spleen!

I am 42 and I had my spleen removed four and a half years ago. Since then I get frequent colds with exacerbated symptoms. I get extremely short of breath which is totally incapacitating and I also frequently get laryngitis too. I never used to be like this and it's really getting me down. I feel weak...

• kershamichelle 1
  • nospleen 1
  • angela83067 1
  • Guest M

No spleen since 1992 accident

Hi thought I'd let you know that i had a splenectomy in nov.1992. Have'nt had any treatment since,except flu jabs and a healthy eating regime and exercise and a positive attitude. So anyone worried should'nt worry too much there is definitely a good life after a splenectomy.

• grandmajo 1

45 years without a spleen, is this a record?

I had my spleen removed 45 years ago, due to injury at the age of 11 years. After my operation I was told to carry on with my life as normal. I have been fairly healthy in spite of losing my spleen, and practice a healthy lifestyle. However over the last 12 months I have noticed that I seem to be having...

2 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • trebor 1

Splenectomy after RTA

Hi..i had a splenectomy 18months ago after a RTA...was hospitalised for 2 weeks and had the complication of post op pneumonia..I was super fit before the accident and after 18mnths i am still not back to work or play..My injuries to my limbs etc have healed pretty well but losing my spleen has had drastic...

Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.