Why is my doctor referring me to haematologists? (Spleen larger side of normal)

Posted , 2 users are following.

24F. 5”3. 122lbs.

I had a scan 3 weeks ago, spleen size was 9.3cm on ultrasound. All ok.

Had one at public hospital by doctor referral on thursday and they said it is slightly enlarged or ‘larger end of normal’ and a bit ‘bulky’ but wouldnt say the size.

I had a private scan yesterday and it was 9.7cm. Does this mean its grown? Or does it just vary? Is it because I’ve been complaining about back pain? My appetite has been so up and down, as well as my weight, back pain and early satiety. I’ve been so anxious. I know I have a problem but I am going to therapy for this soon.

I am just concerned that I have been told my spleen is enlarged and have been referred to a haematologist. My doctor felt my lymphs and my blood tests, liver, thyroid, FBC and pancreas markers were normal.

I also wanted to know..

My back where it hurts is harder/a bit more swollen than the right side. Could this be a lymph node or my organs being pushed by my enlarged spleen on my back? Or just muscular.

Could my appetite and weight loss be sinister? I have gone from around 9 stone to 8 stone 7lbs in a month.

I am so scared of lymphoma or leukaemia now. I just want to live a normal life and now this has thrown me and scared me. Maybe my doctor referred me because I’ve been so anxious and they want to be sure and cover themselves too? I dont know how this works. Please share your advice. Again, I know this is frustrating and I have anxiety. I’m seeking help for it but I am just so worried for my health. I was getting better until this came up.

My original worry was cancer like PC due to yellow stools, weight loss and back pain and gastritis. My stools arent yellow now, but have had a lot of soft stools, a bit diarrhoealike but thick. My weights stayed around 8 st 8 for 2 weeks, fluctuating up and down. My ribs also pop on the left side when I’m laying in a certain position.

Also could my partner massaging my back have cause it to swell?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

ive had similar symptoms also.

hoping you have found some answers and are feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.