Post-Splenectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a Thalassemia major Patient and due to iron overload and other issues my spleen became enormous.It was 23cms and about 1800gram when they removed it on May 04 2019.

Now it's been a while and my incision is healing and looks perfectly fine but a couple days ago I started having this weird feeling under my left ribcage ,with every breath sort of like rattling or bubbling the way it happens when you have a congested chest.The next day it started hurting so much that I couldn't even stand straight or lie down on my back and couldn't lie on my left side because it hurt so much.I took some pain meds,they helped a bit but now it's been two more days and it still hurts when I burp or sneeze,so bad.Does anyone know why it's happening? I'm scared.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Firstly as your surgery was so recent I would be straight back with my doctor if I were you. However, I had my spleen removed almost 20 years ago and still suffer with the pain similar to what you describe, particularly after I exercise - not immediately, the next day or so. I'm not in constant pain, but on bad days it's like a claw grabbing me constantly and it can be very wearing - I also get ridiculous gurgling noises on the bad days. I've had x-rays, abdominal scans and ultrasound but they have not detected anything - so I'm not worried but the pain is very real. I have found that a mild laxative helps in reducing the duration of the pain. It's definitely the worst impact that the splenectomy has had on me.

You should read up about adhesions and how they can cause impact like you describe.

Best of Luck

Dave

• Posted

I had mine out to try and stop my autoimmune hemolytic anemia ....didnt work, but all I had was a little discomfort for awhile and have been fine ever since and I was 69 when I had it done. I would call my doctor (the one that did the surgery) and tell him right away because everybody is different and you shouldnt have to live with this!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm at the hospital right now.They did an Ultrasound and found a little fluid collection in my splenic bed.They wanted to drain it but my Liver is in the way and they didn't want to risk damaging it so they're giving me broad spectrum antibiotics intravenous to see if it helps since it's about a 100 ml. I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.