5 weeks in still very tired /issues after bad accident followed by spleen removal surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had a bad bike accident 5 weeks ago , ruptured my spleen ,was unconscious down a steep hill woke to whole body not moving ,covered in blood ,ended up in trauma center of the e.r with ruptured spleen ,two broken chest ribs ,internal bleeding ,i had to have emergency surgery to remove my spleen .Its been 5 weeks ,i went home from the Icu in 4 days with 36 stomach staples , but with the physical therapy given there i was abke to walk moderatley .apon release the first weeks were challenging needing constant help from my partner ,but then at my follow up the surgeons said return to walking unlimited ,cleaning the house and bathing or hot tub use would be ok that was at my second week ,im not sure they were right .with walking even now at the 5th week im very worn out ,out of breath and stomach still swells like it did after i woke from the surgery ,i still get pains in my stomach and area where i once had a spleen ,i feel so worn out from normal bare minimal activity and going to school twice a week ,going to do hydro massage and sauna heat room ,im confused how im so tired and still feel like i have to take it easy and sit or lay down ,just need some input or advice in this situation,thanks .

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had spleen removed 20 years ago due to trauma. for me the tiredness went away over time but 5 weeks is very recent to expect full recovery. I suggest you don't compare yourself to how you were before the accident and instead compare yourself to last week so you can see your recovery and remain positive. TBH full recovery took me up to a year.

Re pains in side, I still have bad days when it feels like someone has reached inside me and is pulling me backwards by my gut. As a doctor said to me recently they moved around parts that were never meant to be moved.

But it does get better it has not affected my daily life to a great extent long term.

Dave

• Posted

Hello Mary, sorry about your accident. mine was the exact same experience 6yrs ago. But as Dave already mentioned, 5weeks is too short a time to attain full recovery. It took me two years and at least once a year of being rushed to the ER because of pain. And it is as Dave described with a high fever and vomiting too. I also discovered the pain gets triggered by stress so I've learned to not go through too much stress. Had a major episode last month and spent three nights at the hospital...got rushed from summer camp where I was volunteering to the ER. They've never found anything...my tests have always come back perfect. So yea, my doctor says it's because my internal organs and things were touched and moved around when I had the total splenectomy. Not trying to scare you... but please give yourself time to heal and see your MD when you don't feel so good. And please get your vaccines too!

I wish you a speedy recovery ❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.