Damage to spleen, possible rupture after mono?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, a month ago I was hospitalized for a severe case of mono which messed up my liver. I had an enlarged spleen as well. During this time, I would feel a sharp pain in my chest and shoulder, especially when I took a deep breath or laid in a certain position. When it was determined I had mono and an enlarged spleen, I just took it easy and eventually got better.

A couple nights ago, I woke up to a sharp pain on the left side of my chest. It lasted less than a minute, and went away. My anxiety went through the roof and has not calmed down since then. I notice every little ache and pain now. Today I noticed pain in my shoulder when breathing in. I just remembered that I had this pain related to my spleen and am now worried I might have somehow further injured it. I've had no other symptoms, but I'm so scared of a ruptured spleen. I've done very little physical work. The most I've done is grocery shopping a few weeks ago and have been home playing video games mostly since then. The pain seems to come and go as it did when I first was really sick. I can't feel it as I type but I felt it a little while ago.

Is it possible I damaged my spleen? Is it just leftover from having mono, or just random body pains because bodies are weird? Anxiety pains?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear this Bethany. I can't offer any advice as I was born without a spleen & have never had any pain. The only thing I would advise is to get in touch with your Doctor as a matter of urgency. Take care now & best wishes x

• Posted

It may be any of those issues. Contact your Doctor. Why was you spleen enlarged? Was it because of the mono? I really don't think the pain would come and go if your spleen was ruptured. That is a serious issue. The pain would be all the time.

• Posted

Yes, it was enlarged as a result of the mono. I called my dr and left a message, I am waiting for him to call me back. I really hope I am just being silly. I remember when he felt it during a follow-up after my hospital visit he said it didn't feel all that enlarged. My hypochondria is just kicking into high gear, especially since I already had a rare complication with my liver during this. Thankfully that has gotten much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.