Splenectomy and Covid-19

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello. My spleen was removed in 2012 following injury and bleeding. I was always told to be aware of bacteriological infection and I take low dose antibiotics as prophylaxis. What is the function of the spleen in fighting viruses, and does not having a spleen put me in a high risk category for complications arising from Covid-19 infection. Very little information available online!

1 like, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I had a splenectomy Feb last year due to blood disorders I have. I tried talking about this on Reddit but I don't think people understand that my surgery was by choice and a better long life decision for me. It's not like I knew about this virus last year.. 😦

It would be great if we could keep talking. It'll be nice to talk to someone who understands.

• Edited

Yes it would be nice to keep in touch. My spleen was removed 7/2018. I was diagnosed with Splenic Marginal Zone Lymphoma. I am good for now but it will come back. I can't seem to find out if I am high risk without a spleen. I really think it's a problem. Staying in and away from people.

• Edited

I am the same - it's incredible how difficult it is to find information. Here is a link to a relatively positive article which says our specific exposure is to encapsulated bacteria - in particular pneumococcal and we are not more susceptible to viral pneumonia http://www.antimicrobe.org/e30.asp. It seems to suggest that any viral attack response issues is likely to be related to another underlying condition.

The other positive is many patients are victims of what's known as a cytokine storm https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140227142250.htm where the immune system overreacts to the infection and causes huge damage to the infected organ - in this case, the lungs. I would assume we are unlikely to have this reaction.

These are the only valuable articles I've found and I'm trying to take positives but it is really worrying.

David

• Edited

Maybe but wouldn't our body still try to fight it in other ways?

• Edited

I hope so - as others have said we are on a list you don't want to be on of at risk but heart & lung issues seem to be the two most at risk groups. I am certainly being cautious and don't want to find out the hard way if I can fight it.

• Edited

Hi David, Thank you for your valuable information. I heard from another source that Viral infections are not nearly as risky as bacterial infections. The information was from a physician.

• Edited

wow what an informative article, Wheelo, thanks. I had my spleen removed aged 6 (I'm now 46) due to hereditary spherocytosis. I often struggle with post viral fatigue but have never really been able to find much information online. thanks for this, it is encouraging 🙏

• Edited

Hello there,

I was born without a spleen but only found out last year owing to a long lasting infection which has, thankfully, cleared.

I would be very interested in the replies to this. Does it make us high-risk etc - thanks in advance.

• Edited

I would think that we are at high risk. I sent an email to my MD. His reply was that I am at high risk because of my age. He didn't mention my spleen removal!

• Posted

Can I ask about your age? And he really didn't mention the lack of having a spleen?

I'm 23 without a spleen. Thanks ❤️

• Edited

I would be interested in knowing the best way to protect myself against illness and particularly Covid-19. I had a splenectomy in 2018 after complications from a routine colonoscopy. I will be following this thread.

Thank you.

• Edited

I found this online regarding underlying health conditions & I'm sorry to say that not having a spleen is one of them - take care everyone & best wishes.

• Edited

As I thought, Thank you Carol. I live in one of the 6 counties "on house arrest" Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.