Enlarged spleen

Posted , 3 users are following.

all year I’ve had to get bloods every month as I have low white cell count. I did feel very tired/exhausted but not ill enough to be off my work. I just didn’t feel human and found it difficult to explain. My GP referred me to the hospital and the doctor there has took more bloods and said she will only contact me if there is a problem. She said she may give me an ultra sound as I may have an enlarged spleen. I have recently been having bother with my digestive system but forgot to mention this to her. She also said if my bloods are just slightly low or ok she will get me back in 6 months. I must admit I am a little concerned about the spleen thing.

aabb

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I got the flu in Jan. It almost killed me. I became very anemic. That's when all the fun began. I had 2 CAT scans, a pet scan, an MRI, bone marrow biopsy, a thyroid biopsy along with many blood tests, etc. I too have an enlarged spleen. Mine is 23 cm. Next Thurs it comes out. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Posted

So sorry to hear you have been so unwell. I hope that my bloods come back ok and I don’t need an ultra sound. I just think about the bother I am having with my stomach right now and about 6 weeks ago I had a terrible pain in my left side/back which I ended up at the doctors. She said I had a kidney infection, which I have never had in my life. But my sample came back ok. Just wondering  now if all of this is connected to my bloods being low. Let me know who you get on. Take care

aabb

• Posted

Will do. Best of luck to you. If you have problems with the iron you may want to try the brand Blood Builder. Expensive but no side effects.
  • Posted

I got the flu in Jan. It almost killed me. I became very anemic. That's when all the fun began. I had 2 CAT scans, a pet scan, an MRI, bone marrow biopsy, a thyroid biopsy along with many blood tests, etc. I too have an enlarged spleen. Mine is 23 cm. Next Thurs it comes out. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Posted

I have also been having to have frequent blood work. Platelets were way too high, but have finally started dropping. Have rwo Dr. appointments this week. I don't expect things to ever be normal again, but, at last, I feel like they are improving.  I hated to lose my spleen, but I really had no problem with the actual surgery.

• Posted

Thank you for the positive words about your spleen removal. Did you have a laprascopic surgery? My spleen is so large that the surgern is not sure he can do it without an incision.
    • Posted

No, I did not have laparoscopic. I actually went in for aneurysm surgery and they discovered the problem with my spleen. Most of my problems were from the aneurysm surgery. The incision never was a problem. The spleen surgery was about as simple as surgery can be. It's nothing to fear. Good luck.

• Posted

Ok....I had my Spleen removed last Thurs. Tomorrow will be one week. Aside from a bit of soreness at the incisions I feel great. I really can't believe how good I feel. I go to the surgeon Monday. He will give me the lab results. I am a bit nervous but I take one day at a time.

• Posted

That's great! You can expect your platelets to be high when you go back, but they will decrease as your body adjusts. Guess we will have to wait and see what long term effects the surgery may have.

• Posted

I would love to follow each other as pur journey continues. Karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.