Splenic Abscesses Surgery or not?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am writing on behalf of my sister who is being pushed to have her spleen removed.  She is in the hospital as we speak due to infectious abscesses on her spleen apparently caused by a previous procedure done in another hospital.  She does not want this major surgery - at least not now (It's a long story...).  Has anyone here had splenic abcesses and had them treated with antiobiotics alone rather than with surgery?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I do  not know anything about splenic abcesses.    I had my spleen removed when I was nine - a horse riding accident.  I understand people can live a perfectly healthy life without a spleen so your sister should be fine.  The odd thing for me is when I had an ultrasound at age 65 I was told I had a  healthy, fully formed spleen.  Apparently a small percentage of people are able to regrow their spleen....unrelated but I also had my tonsils out at 5 and they regrew too.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response.  My sister is 71.  She really doesn't want to have the surgery.  I don't know what to tell her, but I'm starting to hope that she reconsiders.

• Edited

I recently had my spleen removed at age 71. I was told that at this age, I have lots of acquired and natural immunity so other than regular vaccines like flu etc, I need not have to take any special precautions. My surgery was complicated by a pancreatic tumor and removal. She should ask about robotic surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.