Spleen removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

For a year now I have been dealing with stomach pain. They have decided that my spleen is enlarged so much and has a 5 cm mass that is pushing on my stomach. They have suggested that I get my spleen out as it's pushing on my stomach so much that I can't eat enough and am losing too much weight. I am worried about my quality of life after having my spleen out. Will I get sick often or if I follow all precautions that I already do to avoid getting sick, will I be okay? I just don't know what to expect of life without a spleen.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie50788.

I am 35 years old. I had my spleen removed in May 2009 because it was enlarged. I had a rough recovery due to my size (two months) but since then, I have been great. I get my mono/pneumonia/flu shots like clock work. I get a cold maybe one or two times a year but that is about it. My immune system is strong so as long as you stay on top of your vaccinations, you should be good. Obviously this is just my story and everyone's might be different. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Marie, Had my spleen removed last July. It was massive. 22cm. Best thing I have done. Had immunizations prior to the removal. One night in the hospital. Felt good within a few days. My quality of life is much improved. They did find very small slow growing lymphoma. No treatment. I keep my hands clean, avoid sick people, no dog or cat scratches or bites. I was also very apprehensive. So happy I had it done. No more anemia! Get that sick thing out of there. Karen

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Thanks for sharing. I'm leaning towards having it out.... they want to check for a blood disorder first. The only problem is they aren't 100% sure this will solve my pain so I just want to make sure I won't be sick all the time after. What was your recovery time? Were you able to go back to work after like a week? I'm a teacher so I don't want to miss too much. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Marie, Before the surgery I was very anemic. Tired all the time. Felt awful. At risk of rupturing my spleen. It was huge. I was moving really well and felt good within 2 to 3 days. I think the recovery time is longer if they have to do a full incision. My surgeon was able to remove it laprascopicly . It was 22 cm. I am 70 years old. Ask me anything! Karen

• Posted

I am a realtor....semi retired.

• Posted

i also had a mass which turned out to be an aggressive lymphoma so my spleen hasn't been removed...yet! Instead i'm having chemo but my surgeon, before my original but then abandoned splenectomy, told me that without a spleen i shouldn't get ill anymore frequently than before but should i get ill it could be worse than usual. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Didn't quite understand. Is your lymphoma in your spleen?

• Posted

On it. I had a 4cm mass on my spleen seen on CT that they couldn't be sure about and couldn't biopsy so the plan was for me to have a splenectomy. However when the surgeon went in the mass had spread to my stomach, pancreas and beyond so he abandoned splenectomy, took a biopsy and closed me up and ordered another CT to establish the exact extent of the spread

• Posted

Thank you. Will know around Christmas/NY if the treatment has worked .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.