Pet ownership and insect bites

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I have another worry! We have a dog and I’m wondering if it’s safe to keep her. Does anyone else have experience of being asplenic and owning a pet?

Also, do I need to see a doctor for every tiny insect bite I get, or is that advice just for tick bites etc?

Many thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Olive, 

Great questions. I had a dog at the time of my splenectomy and I did end up giving her to a friend and now really regret it. My infectious diseases doctor said I didn't need to get rid of her, that it was only a bite or if she were to lick a cut that I would need to be worried. The worry is the dog's saliva getting into the blood stream, otherwise we asplenics would be fine. I do exercise more caution around other people's dog's now. I don't go straight up to an unfamiliar dog any longer. I definitely don't let them lick my face, probably a good idea anyway! I know two other people without their spleens and one has a dog and one is terrified of dogs. I used to brush my dog's teeth and if I still had her I would now wear gloves. Thankfully she's with a friend so I get to see her often. 

For insect bites -- personally, I would go in to the doctor for any tick bite but only if I felt ill after getting other bites. I wouldn't go anywhere where there is malaria though, I was advised to never do that. Maybe Wheelo has some advice on this also. I do wear a lot more bug spray than I used to. I hate the stuff but I'd rather not worry about being out in nature. 

Congratulations on deciding to take your trip! Bring a mask in case someone is coughing and have a great time! 

Also, just to let you know, I feel almost completely normal now -- 10 months after surgery. I sometimes forget it ever happened! So good job just getting on with life. Just make sure to keep up on your vaccinations. 

• Posted

I have 2 dogs and 3 cats and had my spleen removed the end of last year..be cautious of coughing or just sick people and get on with your life.  Live it like you always did....just be happy.   By the way, I get lots of kisses from my dogs..those kisses are not going to do you in!  I also have an autoimmune disease that lowers my immune system, but I refuse to live life in a bubble.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.