Questioning experience of consultant surgeon

Posted , 4 users are following.

following a ct scan on the 19th November 2018 (for suspected clot on my lung), a splenic arterty aneurysm of 3.5cm was found, and a referral was made to the Vascular team.

The consultant who initially saw me on the 11th January advised that toe aneurysm is too close to my spleen and because its tourtous means that I am not able to have a stent, and therefore need to have a splenectomy (spleen removed). He advised that he deals with aortic aneurysms and therefore whilst he has removed spleens in emergency situations due trauma (open surgery only) he has not removed one laprascopically and therefore he was referring me to a consultant who he said... quote: “has an expertise in splenectomy, and not only does he have a expertise in it but he can also do it through keyhole surgery, laparoscopic surgery”. he also said that he may be able to do a partial splenectomy.

I finally met with with the consultant surgeon on 18th March and he informed me that he would be removing my spleen laprascopically but if there were any complications it would change to open surgery (intraoperatively). He also said that he has NEVER REMOVED A SPLEEN LAPRASCOPICALLY BEFORE (although has removed them in emergency trauma situations -open surgery only), but he has done laprascopic surgery in that area of my body!!! He said it is a very rare operation as not many people present with this type of condition. because of this not many surgeons in WALES UK have had any/very little experience of removing spleens lapracopically. He said that because of this he will also have another consultant pancreatic surgeon assisting him.

My operation will be in 8-10 weeks and he said that I am not currently in any danger of the anuerysm bursting (how can he say that when they are not predictable!) i did express my concerns about his lack of experience in removing my spleen, he said it was understandable and that is why another surgeon will be assisting (who has not removed a spleen laprascopically before either and is probably there in case they cause damage to my pancreas at the same time!) i said that the referring consultant had sufpggested that he could do a partial splenectomy, however the surgeon said he could'nt... I asked if that was due to his experience, he said it was because of the risks, complications and lack of success in this area and that online they only show the success stories.

Needless to say I am now left feeling highly concerned, anxious about the outcome and quite tearful and fearful!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My son had his removed via laparoscopy 5 years ago. His was torsed (not due to trauma) and the size of a football. They told us they would attempt laparoscopy first but would need to open up if not possible when they got in there. The surgeons did it! They told us later that it was challenging since his was so enlarged, but that the spleen is very gelatinous and they managed to do it. So, know that it is possible. I pray that your surgeon is skilled and able to do it this way for you since the recovery is so much easier.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I understand your concern. I had my spleen removed in July of 2019. I was massive. The surgeon we removed it was very experienced and has done many spleenectomys. Due to its size he was not sure he could remove it laparoscopicly. He did and the recovery went well. I am very lucky to live in San Francisco California. We have 2 very good medical schools in the area. If you can go to a Surgeon with more experience. Good luck

• Posted

hi i got my spleen taken out when i was 2 years old well that was 53 years ago that was due to trauma as i was knocked down with a ice cream van it reversed over me and drag me for a good bit then somebody stop him so had an emergency operation to take spleen out but the older i got i started to being allergic to lots of things .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.