10 months ankle fracture, will things ever feel back to normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here but I decided to join just because I feel like I'm going crazy.

So I broke my left ankle this January (distal end of fibula) and I had to have ORIF surgery and hardware in my ankle to fix it. I broke it doing a sports activity (figure skating), and have been doing PT pretty consistently for i think 8 or 9 months now and i've been back to high impact skating for two months (I was cleared around 5 months of PT but I decided to wait, plus COVID closed all the rinks).

Theres nothing wrong with my ankle. I can jump and spin just fine, heck I could run a marathon if I wanted to. However, I just feel...like my ankle is..not normal? I don't know how to explain it. It could just be a mental thing and that I always hyperfixate on things but it just doesnt feel normal like my right ankle. It feels like there is my leg, and then my foot. It's never in pain, or sore but it just always feels...idk, like different. I know I have nerve damage that never healed so im not sure if thats why? It feels like a dead foot. Unless I rub over a nerve or vein then I get this feeling thats similar to when your foot falls asleep.

Also when I do plantar flexion I feel like I can feel my bones rubbing haha. Its weird. Also my big toe feels dead too. It makes me want to pull it really really hard.

I know these descriptions are really hard. This is my first ever injury and I feel like im terrible at pain/body awareness/management so I feel like im going crazy.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi, I've also had a similar feeling in my ankle and big toe, except walking gives my toe a shock-like pain that i really don't know what to do with, and my whole leg has had this numb and really tingly feeling that sometimes leads to sharp pain. I've wondered if it was nerve damage, but my doctor has never mentioned it. could you share your experience with your injury, sorry but I'm just curious 😃 ( this is also my first injury and I'm going crazy over all of my unexplained and random pain!!)

• Posted

Hello! I also have this tingly feeling too but its mostly when I'm being inactive so I'm not entirely sure if its due to circulation or the nerve damage. Sometimes I do have it when I'm walking around but I don't notice it often. Is any part of your foot sensitive to touch? For me, I knew I had nerve damage, or at the very least some nerve irritation, because i couldn't even touch the top of my foot with my finger without it feeling that kind of tingly sensitive feeling, but never pain. mostly uncomfortable which leads to annoyance

• Posted

hi again! there is a certain place at the top of my foot that doesn't necessarily hurt to touch, but it does give that same shock feeling and tingly sensation, although it can be painful if i accidentally press on it for too long (like when wearing a shoe or even just accidentally pressing it while doing something). the tingly/numbness in my leg seems to just happen at random times, and the shock-like feeling tends to happen after walking on it too much, although it has also happened while resting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.