10 months of neck pian

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi i have had  neck stiffness and pain for 10 moths. It all started in June last year i woke with a stiff neck and later that day did some neck stretches off of you tube. This pain seemed to ease in my neck but, seemed to travel from my left side neck to behind my left shoulder blade. Even though the neck pain initially eased the muscle remained like a knot behind my left shoulder blade. i carried on for  couple of months but, my muscles in my neck became more tense and tight saw my GP who said health anxiety and tried to give me antidepressants and suggested yoga and mindfulness. Things got worse and more tight even effecting my scapula on the left side again like a tightness. Looking down and to either side hurt, and when i rotate my shoulder blades i hear and feel awful clunking and grinding noises but, this does not hurt.

I tried yoga but , this made it worse so referred myself to health and wellbeing and attended 3 months of physio and had many back massages. In December i pulled my lower back started on many drugs to help which, also helped with my neck. As my neck seemed to be a bit better my physio discharged me. I had a month off of work due to my lower back I stopped the pain killers and my neck, shoulders and upper spine are just as bad. I have been back to my GP who have prescribed more pain killers.

I am sick of this constant muscular neck pain, TBH the stretches seem to cause me more pain. I have started swimming and do mindfullness but no help. I tried the tennis ball roll on the wall but this is shear agony  on the area behind my left shoulder blade. I have now got pain in my middle back. Can anyone offer any help. I have had no scans or xrays but, the GP said it will not show any muscular  problem any way. Please shed some light x   

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Its an infection . The pain killers . The massage sessions will not treat it . the x rays will show nothing. The exercises are pain over pain . The infection must be treated so the pain goes for ever . No body will tell you that. The community will insist you do all the advices that will not end the pain they will say you must go on like that there is no other solution . That is realy untrue . The infection treated the pain goes .
  • Posted

How are you doing now? If you are interested I will tell you what I've done to relieve my neck pain. My neck hurt for 1.5 years. 

• Posted

Have you looked into magnesium for relaxing muscles? I'm talking about in the form like Natural Calm or its equivalent. If you are still working with a laptop, is there a way you can change the position of the computer so that you are looking straight ahead instead of hunched over and straight down? Good posture at all times is super important. With my neck, I worked to bring down inflammation so it could heal. I used a combo of ice packs, natural supplements for inflammation, ibuprofen (carefully), and low level laser (LLLT). 

• Posted

Hi Joe yes i use my work laptop daily and it is near on impossible to not have it on my knee so i am always looking down and hunched over. i recently had my bloods done and had magnesium levels checked which came back all normal. I am on lots of medications as lower back went in december and have had sciatica 3 months in both legs im on cocodamol, naproxen and gabapentin . x
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, just curious what type of pillow do you use? I use a cervical pillow that provides the right support and it's made a tremendous difference. My troubles really started with a too-high pillow I was using. Too bad you can't get that computer on a table more even with your line of vision.  

• Posted

hi Joe i use a normal pillow which is very flat. I have tried thick pillows , 2 pillows and no pillows etc and the most comfy for me seems to be the  slim one. x
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

I too have had neck pain for about two years now. Came out of the blue, but I used to dog walk and I think a jolt from the dog leash triggered my neck osteoarthritis.

Have you had neck xrays done?

I used to work on a computer and looked down a lot, forward head posture. I've read that younger people are experiencing neck problems from texting (FHP).

I went to my doctor a few times - pulled muscle was first diagnosed then a pinched nerve. The third time I went I was sent for xrays of my neck and spine and was referred to a rheumatologist where early osteoarthritis in my neck and spine was diagnosed, most likely to have been caused by FHP. The jolt from the dog leash finally triggered it off.

I tried physiotherapy but I had to stop going because it made me feel giddy.

Osteoarthritis can occur in the young as well as older people, can be brought on by injuries, whiplash, and in my case FHP. There is no cure but certain exercises can help. Chin tucks is one of them.

I get neck ache most days, I get some good days too. I've tried exercises and cervical pillows but they don't work for me. I use ordinary pillows and just find a comfortable resting position, usually on my side.

I get some relief from a heated wheat bag placed on my neck and I use otc creams, gels and pain killers. My rheumatologist gave me capsaicin cream but I didn't have any relief from it.

I also get lightheadedness and this is a common symptom of neck arthritis or cervical spondylosis (the worst symptom for me).

If you haven't had a neck xray I would request one from your doctor if I were you to rule out OA.

I know what you are going through with neck pain, it is very debilitating. Working on a computer makes it worse.

I hope you find answers and relief soon.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi. I also have the same problem. Even I feel pain when I lay on the bed and sit watching TV. Hot water provides me with some relief. But it lasts for a very short period of time. I try so many treatments and painkillers but they provide no relief. Absolutely nothing else does. Finally, my colleague tells me about stem cell treatment. I try this treatment and get very positive results. You will also try this if you want instant relief.  
  • Posted

Amanda59745,

I had chronic tightness in my neck all the way up to my head for years.

I found this place in San Diego, CA called RejuVitize. The practitioner uses these smooth, metal tools to release the tension on the muscles and it lasts a long time. Actually, they fixed my neck, I could barely turn it. If you live in the area, this may be your best bet. I think there is a website under the same name where you can read about it. Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.