10 months post ORIF

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone

I am happy to say that I am ten months post ORIF for trimalleolar fracture of my left ankle. For the most part doing great but just have a couple of questions that I hope you all might be able to help me with.

Firstly I still swell. Sometimes not huge amounts but certainly more than previously. I haven't even made it back into most of my old shoes yet. My foot is fine it is just the ankle. Plus I now have a permanent bulge on the inside towards the back. One day a few weeks ago I swelled in a really odd way. Right out the inside of the ankle, while the outside was fine. It looked really odd. But there wasn't really any pain so I just ignored it. Is this all normal?

Secondly the pain. Well not really pain but at times some odd aching. Usually nothing that I need pain relief for but it can be quite uncomfortable. This weekend I didn't really do too much and by last night I started getting a slight pulsing ache on the outside. I can't say it was throbbing but just felt like it was pumping almost. Not sure it that makes sense! And then it seemed to get achy on the inside too. Like I said these pains are not bad enough usually for any pain relieft but they are odd and annoying.

Just wondering what other people have experienced.

TIA

Murphy

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Murphy. I have everything you have mentioned in your post but mine swells /bulges on the outside of my ankle and bulges over the top of my shoes, looks awful. Quite deformed even. I'm only 4mths since my op can not get into any if my shoes. Have had to go up a size 5 to 6 just because of the bad ankle. So have a floppy left shoe as size 6 is too big on that foot. Lol as far as pain goes I'm in agony most if the time and still have burning in my toes. Physio has told me that I will always have a bigger ankle now because of the break. So not happy with that either. 😔 😔. This is the hardest thing I've ever gone through, and to read that at 10mths yr still not right. Grrrr. Bet you have had enough too. Hope all starts to calm down for you soon. Sx

• Posted

Hey Sandra. Thanks for your reply! In general I feel very positive about my recovery, especially since I have read some absolute horror stories! So in general I feel pretty good. It's definitely not like it used to be and yes I'd imagine that I will have swelling now for life on that ankle too. Thankfully I have a job where I can cruise around in a sneaker every day if I need to so shoes are not too much of a problem. But I do miss wearing a heel!

I suppose I am just interested to know if this is normal and at what point you get to when a visit to the Dr or hospital is in order. Do I just accept that from now on I will have aches and pains, many of them random, and that is just the way it is now? And at what point do I decide to get it checked out? I have always gone with the idea that if it isn't sore then I'm OK. I feel like since the pain is odd and at random times then I just try not to think about it. And in most instances I don't need pain relief. More than anything it is just kind of annoying.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi there it's been almost 5 months and last week my physiotherapist discharge me . I m doing really good sometimes and sometimes really bad . Same like u I also have swelling all the time it's like on off kinda . And same with the pain level too . Lost of people told that pain sometime stay forever in some cases . It make me so worried . But I keep walking and doing exercise at home whenever I m free

• Posted

HI, I originally broke my ankle 25 years ago. From what I remember, it did take a while for swelling to go down. And remember everyone is different. I wore a neoprene (wetsuit material) brace on my ankle on and off for many years. Helped to keep the swelling down, esp if worn overnight. Also kept a small pillow at the foot of my bed to keep my foot slighly elevated at night. Hang in there, it does get better. I worked as a nurse, and then midwife, on my feet alot, did a lot of bushwalking and was very active after. The worst times were long car rides.

Take care of your ankle. After many years mine started swelling again with arthritis. I had 1 fusion 9 years ago, and a 2nd on this year. In between, once recovered was very active again.

• Posted

Hello Mammalu. Thank you for sharing your story. It is always great to hear from someone who has been through this and what happened. I don't have a neoprene brace so I might look into getting one. I think that it could certainly help me. I definitely elevate as much as I can which is helpful but sometimes doesn't really have an impact on my aches and pains!

It certainly sounds like you have had a lot to deal with. How do you cope after your fusions? They sound very full on. Although I have had problems since I broke it I don't feel like it is worse than what it should have been. In fact I feel like it has been better. I feel very lucky on the whole.

Cheers

Murphy

• Posted

OMG  this sounds as if it never ending. Im only 16 weeks since my fall, still have lots of pain and swelling. The swelling has gone down a lot but the pain just doesnt seem to ease up. Physio has told me that she is happy with everything and to just listen to my body and to rest elevate and ice and not to allow too much weight onto my bad foot so use 1 crutch.  Lets see what happens..Im about to start sreaming and shouting Im so fed up with it all.  sx
    • Posted

Hey Sandra. Yes it is all a bit of a pain (haha) with the long term stuff but I am quite philosophical about it. I just try and remember that I could be dealing with something much worse. I walk perfectly fine now and have done for months so most of the time people wouldn't have a clue that I have been through anything. I just get funny niggles and stuff which annoy me. But so long as I don't need to do pain relief then I am OK. I would really love to get back into some of my old shoes though but might have to accept that isn't to be.

• Posted

Murphy

Reading ur post I feel like u r accepting of where u r but wondering when u get certain pains or swelling if it's normal or u should b concerned. I am at 7 months and I find at different times some odd places swell in a weird way or I have pain on one side or the other- or the top of foot- or the heel- I tell myself - if for instance an odd bulge doesn't go away or lessen in a few days I will get it checked out.- so far these pains or swelling come and go- so I haven't felt the need to see a doc..but it is a little scary because there is no guide...

• Posted

Hi Marge. Yes I certainly feel like I have accepted where I am at and the normal ongoing aches and pains. I just want to make sure that this is all normal and similar to what other people have/are experiencing. At no stage have I thought that I need see anyone about it and I usually try and use pain as my guide. Since I ache more than anything it doesn't ever seem necessary to go get checked. I have only had one odd bulge and it was only there for one day so not a concern.

I will just keep going as I am. It is now my new normal so will just keep note of anything that is particularly odd and painful and make decisions from there.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers

Murphy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.