10 Powerhouse Foods for Menopausal Women

Posted , 8 users are following.

1.  SOY JOY

Soy is the queen of powerhouse foods.  Researchers believe Soy offers benefits to perimenopausal women in the form of reduced menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes.  Tofu and other soy products are excellent protein, iron and calcium.

2.   FLAXSEED

Like Soy, products are a great source of phytoestrogens.  Flax packs a lot of nutrition into it's tiny teardrop shaped seeds.  A very small % of people are allergic to flaxseed.  Start with 1/4 tsp a day and call doctor if you experience allergy such as rash or shortness of breath.

Flaxseed must be ground up in order for your body to absorb it's nutrients.  The oils spoil quickly, only grind enough for a few days and refrigerate what you don't use immediately. Sprinkle over cereals, salads, and soups, or mix into breads and muffins.  Bottled flax oil can be used, but heating destroys it's benefits so don't cook it.

3.  TEA FOR YOU

Green or Black teas are terrific for you.  Tea also has cancer fighting properties, fighting cell damage associated with inflammation and heart disease.

4.  EATING GREENS

Leafy green vegetables such as kale, spinach and their friends are a marvellous source of iron, fibre, vitamin C, manganese, calcium, copper, B vitamins and antioxidants.

5.  Yo! Yogurt!

A perfect source of calcium and prevent osteoporosis.

6.  Nuts to You

Nuts are a fatty food but the fats are largely unsaturated.  Nuts such as walnuts and almonds contain good for you fats, antioxidants, magnesium, vitamin E, selenium and other nutrients.  Known to fight blood clots and osteoporosis.  Chop and add to salads, pastas, stir fries, fruit dishes or just grab a few for the munchies.

7.  CATCH OF THE DAY 

Fish is good for your heart and cardiovascular system.  It's high in protein.

8.  YAMS

Yams and red potatoes are terrific.  Yams are yummy, inexpensive and great source of antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6, and fibre.  Eating them regular has been linked to decrease hot flashes. 

9.  BERRY BERRIES

Blueberries are high in Vitamin C and fibre.  They pack 38% more antioxidants than any other berry.  

10.  ORANGES

Only about 60 calories for a medium orange and a boatload of vitamin C, fibre, antioxidants and other nutrients.  

Info by Menopause for Dummies book I am reading cheesygrin

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You know I have tried all these foods. Makes absolutely no difference at all. Menopause knows no boundaries.  I have a theory I always suffered from bad pms and had difficult pregnancies.  I have always equated bad pms to bad perimenopause and menopause.  The only thing that made a difference was the b vitamins and a small dose of citalaprom as well as align which stopped severe bloating. 
    • Posted

Sorry JJ that things didn't work out.  They are all feel great foods that will give you energy and good health.  They are good for good health anyday.  You are what you eat they say.  biggrin
  • Posted

Thank you for all the info 👍 Im going to have to get that book from my library! Never heard yams was for hot flashes before lol. No wonder our great-grandparents never suffered like we do today...they didn't live off of supplements...they lived off the fruits and vegetables of the land. Thanks to McDonalds 😄we take supplements lol
    • Posted

Hiya blessed I don't even know what yams look like.haha. redface I have eaten tofu with butter chicken curry sauce yum yum for the past few days and felt good those days .... Today no tofu and feel crappy.  I am going to have to make another batch! wawa
    • Posted

Awe blessed...oops sweet potato...love them as they are good with wee butter and brown sugar beat together and you can get mini red potatos cut in half and bake them with Italian seasoning sprinkled....now I am hungry again sad 
    • Posted

yummm sounds good! thanks for the quick meal tips. I love the mini red potatos cut up in green beans with a half onion added with a tbsp of ham seasoning boiled on the stove in a huge pot til their nice and tender with a big plate of Lasagna ...now Im getting hungry. Food does sometimes make me feel better especially protein but some days I feel like everything I eat makes me start to get dizzy...Have you ever experienced this during your peri? I thought it was sugar problems starting but Ive been checked and its always ok. Id feel better knowing if someone else has went through the same thingneutral 
    • Posted

Hi Blessed you are making me hungry!! Food seems to taste so damn good these days.  No wonder we have weight gain.  I used to eat like a bird...but now I am like the Cookie Monster!  wawawa cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi dottie yes these are all good foods but be careful if you have a thyroid problem as many of these foods are goitre gens ..so can in fact agitate and make the thyroid much worse..x
    • Posted

Hi sleepo yes it's good to talk to a nutritionist or your doctor before starting anything cause they know your health history. smile
  • Posted

Hi Dottie

I have just started to drink soy milk I avoided it for years thinking it would be vile, but now I am addicted lol, and its cheap I get mine in Walmart for around $2.50 for their own brand organic/vanilla and I can feel the benefits already smile

Flax seed is new to me as well and trying that out, its super cheap, but must be "ground flax.

• Posted

Hi Astrid that is good stuff. I bought some too and I love Walmart lol but unfortunately I can't drink it.  I will try again while plugging my nose! cry. My daughter drinks it.  I am too fussy I guess cry
  • Posted

Great list Dottie. Pleased to say I am already having a load of this stuff. Waiting for it too work. Haha. I might have to read that book. Xx
    • Posted

Hi mooma it's like we have to become nutritionists to beat this menopause.  We just cant eat or drink whatever we want anymore.  That's the key to success I think.  We have to change our habits or else the body reacts.  It's sad cheesygrin
    • Posted

Hey there is hope!  I have been feeling like total crapola since March and just this morning I don't feel nauseated!!  I must be doing something right. Maybe it's the new soy foods, maybe the vitamins, maybe the excercise, maybe the big guy upstairs has finally said 'that's enough, this girl has suffered too much'.  rolleyes  Maybe maybe there is hope around the corner  cheesygrin  Never give up!! as they say, stay positive! 
    • Posted

That's really great news Dottie. Keep up the new good habits! I feel horrendous today. We have been away on holiday this week and of course eating stuff I wouldn't normally so sure that is having a knock on effect. Also had a long car journey which always makes my neck and headaches worse. Roll on tomorrow😔
    • Posted

Hi mooma you will get back on track.  We have good days and bad days.  Can't be good everyday rolleyes.  We have to realize we aren't spring chickens anymore and it's sad.   sad We will get through this, we just have to see what method works for us as we are all built different.  It's just a new life change/phase so don't fret ....just go with the flow!  redface  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.