10% reduction

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I am planning my mirt taper from 45mg and intend to follow the recommendation to taper at 10% every 4 weeks.

I am a bit alarmed as i have worked out how long this will take. 45mg to 15mg is 9 months so not too bad. But 15mg to 0.1mg is 200 weeks so nearly 4 years !!!

Can anybody who has tapered off 15mg tell me if it took them that long. I have side effects from this med i just don t think i can live with for that long. I know some people get no withdrawal symptoms but some do. If i am one that does.....which i suspect i will be am i really looking at 4 1/2 years till i am mirt free if i need to function as i have a toddler.

Please anyone who has tapered of 15mg is this the only way ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've started my taper from 15 mg 5 days ago. I'm Only doing 2-5% every 2-4 weeks. Will. Take me a while but I know it's safe at that rate.

• Posted

Hi

you may find that you can come down more quickly at the beginning. For example I was on 30mg last February, and got down to 6mg by last May/June. I just reduced a little, waited a couple of weeks to see if any sign of withdrawal. But no symptoms until I got down to 6mg, even though I'd gone down quite quickly. 

I then got hold of liquid Mirt, and found it gradually got harder! I've spent longer at each drop, reducing tiny amounts, and, with a few blips along the way, I'm still at 0.2ml, which equates to 3mg

• Posted

I have managed to get down to 3.75by using pill cutter as my dr refused me liquid.  Have i a right to demand it? I am planning on trying to keep going but i still feel depressed and a bit anxious, i have heard from others on here that will go eventually once it is cleared from my system, does anyone know if this is true?  I still use diazepam 2mg in day and would like to start dropping it after , is it the diaz which is making me tired and low, or the mirtaz? Anyone know?
    • Posted

Regarding liquid, all I know is it is very expensive, and GPs apparently refuse for that reason. So when I went asking for liquid I was expecting a no, and had all sorts of reasons ready to say why I needed it. 

I had an appt with a psychiatrist (for med review) and it was her I asked about liquid. She said that if she sent a request to GP asking for script for liquid it should be fine. She said 'sometimes they question it' but that if she confirmed that was what she recommended then usually no problem. That's exactly what happened, and I now have it on repeat. 

Liquid/solution is so easier to measure once you get to smaller doses (with a good syringe)  and now only taking 0.2ml I find I'm throwing away a fair bit of the bottle cos it says only keep for six weeks - I have to say I'm probably tripling or even quadrupling that time (without any noticeable difference) so actually I'm paying very little now.

just for information though - I am also currently on 150mg Venlafaxine, so not going down with Mirt onto nothing...

• Posted

Doctor wouldn't give me the liquid Ann so I do my own. It's cheap enough to do.

• Posted

Sarah, I tapered off 15mg in 2 1/2 weeks. It was rough. Its been almost 13 weeks. I am still having discontinuation effects, but not as bad. I am not recommending this, just saying that is what I did. Just start and listen to your body. Good luck, you are stronger than you think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.