10 weeks on sertraline - feeling rough :/

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello ! im 10 weeks on sertraline, switching from fluoxetine which id been on for 5 years, and been feeling awful. Around week 7 i started feeling ok, appetite came back and nausea eased but not 100% myself so i increased from 50-75mg and i felt ok for a week then the past 2 weeks i had terrible nausea, blurred vision, bad depression, just getting through the days, so a couple of days ago i went back down to 50mg, but this morning i still work up dry retching and terribly depressed. i do remember fluoxetine took a long time to work for me before but i stuck to 20mgs and was well for years when it did - shall i stick this out? anyone else had side effects this long and eventually found some success? really need reassurance today

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen. hang on in there, I have been on 50 mgs for 6 weeks, after building up from 25, 37.5 then 50, 14 weeks in total and I am back to normal. you have to give each dose at least 4 to 6 weeks to settle and then increase by a little if needed. The fact that you have had some good days means they will work, you just need to give yourself time, another week or 2 should see you ok on 50 with regards to side effects, then wait another 2 weeks and see if there is room for improvement. I know it is a long slow process but by allowing your brain and body time to adjust it should not be as harsh on you. do not give up, be strong and keep focused on the positive that you will get better

• Posted

thanks Sue for your kind words, today has been one of the worst days, i had a breakdown earlier as i just didn't think i could go on feeling like this, nausea and depression is constant at the moment, but i have to keep it together for my kids, but today i just couldn't and its so scary, luckily my auntie came over and is helping me, ive been on 50mg for 10 weeks, so past 5-6 weeks, then i went up to 75mgs but it just made me worse, so came down again 2 days ago, maybe thats what causing this now..when did you start to feel better?

• Posted

Yes Karen it probably is the change in doses, your poor brain and body is most likely thinking what the hell, bit like offering a child a sweet, yes you can have it no you can't yes you can, child is going to kick off. It is good you have some support, let anyone who is willing help you out do it, it is not a sign of weakness and other people love feeling useful, take the pressure off yourself and accept this is just a short term thing and it is just the meds not you loosing it and certainly not how you are going to be forever. I felt completely back to normal after 12 weeks in total, I did go up to 50 after being on 25 for 4 weeks but, like yourself, found this too much all at once so after 5 days dropped back down to 37.5 and within 3 days was fairly back in control. once I had settled on that then took it up to 50 again, 4 weeks in on 50 and I did wonder if I needed to go up again because although I felt better was not quite there, glad I waited though because now I am good. once you have settled you will feel better and then wait a week or 2 then decide what you need to do next, long journey I know but have faith that everything will be ok

• Posted

yep i should have been more patient when i started to feel a bit better, i didnt think an extra 25mg would make much difference but it really did! i just kept reading about how 100mg was the ideal dose, but now ive seen research showing that there is little or no benefit above 50mg and i was on the equivalent dose of fluoxetine for years and was very well, until it stopped working. im so desperate to get better for my boys, and there are times when i wonder whether it will happen and panic because i dont want to have to go on something else, thanks so much for getting back to me, you have no idea how much i needed the encouragement today, im starting to calm down a bit now, hoping tomorrow will be better xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.