10 werks after ORIF surgery siddenly I have pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ten weeks ago I broke my tibia and fibula. Had surgery - a plate, 10 screws, 1 syndesmotic screw in the ankle. I move around using one crutch. No pain at all till now. Last week I went back to pilates classes, had them every day. After 5 classes, suddenly pain in one place in the ankle. Could it be the excetcise? During the class I have no pain. Your thoughts please.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Did you get told to go back to an exercise class by your O S?

If not I suggest to get his advice & quick. You could have done more damage?

Good luck

• Posted

Did you or are you getting the syde screw out?  Broke my fib - plate, 10 screws, 1 syde screw like you.  But I was NWB until the 2nd surgery at 9 weeks to take out the syde screw as doc said if bear weight could cause to break.  Just started to bear weight at 10 weeks (after synde screw removed).  12 weeks and still not FWB without crutch.  Best to call doc and get xray asap.  I know some docs don't take out until they break or never. So it's common,don't want over worry you.  It could be overuse/strain too from excercises and just need RICE, especially if swelling.  But better safe than sorry.  
  • Posted

Hello

You are brave. I broke my ankle in the same places as you. And it has been 16 months now.

I have pain all the time, in the inside part of my ankle. The right side healed well and is doing good.

But the inside of my ankle, has one spot will not close up. I have to wear a bandage on it , everyday. I have a string coming out of it, also. One person wrote me back and said they had one also. And it was a stitch holding the hardware together. But it hurts really back. I'm going to the clinic tomorrow. To see what they can do. The doctor that did my surgery, told me it takes along time to heal.My bones are healed up. It's been to to long. The medical care where i live, is just a piece of work.

It takes so long, just to get a appointment.

You should take it easy, you don't want to have more problems with over doing it! I wish you the very best and get well soon! Thank you

• Posted

I had the same surgery 18 years ago and I wish I had the plate removed when the doctor offered a year later. First the pin has to be removed that's a temp screw to hold the bone in the right place. I had it removed in the waiting room with a intern and a screw driver. Love the veterans hospitol. I have hit the plate in my leg so many times and each time a horrible vibration shooting up my leg. I know this doesn't answer your question it's more of a caution, make sure to remove the pin before it's covered by bone.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information. I think it do need to come out, this inside screws & plate.

Because it hurts. The right side is ok. Hardly no pain now, on the right side. But the right side healed, with no open wounds there. Do you think that's why, my insider of my ankle is causing me problems? The screws & the plate? I thank you so much for sharing your story. Are u ok now? Thanks again

• Posted

Luesch59- Thank you very much for your post. It is hard to get long term information for us neophytes. A lot of us have been told by our doctors that there is no need to take any plates or screws out unless and until we find we have issues with them. I have a plate and 13 screws installed, am 15-1/2 weeks along, and have read somewhere that there can be a window of time (6-12 months?) when it is best to take the hardware out, if we are getting it done. There is not much info out there to tell us what is best. When did you start feeling the plate/screws were an issue? Is a pin the same thing as a screw? I think it is. Could you please give us more information. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Veronica- If it hurts, I would get it out. All the doctors (GP and ortho) have told me that. The question I have is should we get it all out even when it isn't hurting, to help us for later. There are some doctors that always take the plates and screws out and some that are in the camp to leave them in unless they are hurting, according to my ortho. He is in the second camp of thought, but I do wonder if I will miss the window and be sorry. No one wants to go through another surgery and month long recuperation, but if it will make a big difference in later quality of life, that is something to seriously consider. I can not get a clear answer on this one. 
  • Posted

Thanks for your comments (and I apologize for the typos). I talked to my physiotherapist and she said: (1) Moving the foot is important, as the blood circulation is not good after the trauma of the injury and the surgery. The movements increase blood circulation, so pilates is good. (2) be careful that the shoe does not put any pressure on the ankle. This can cause pain.

In two weeks I have an appointment with my doctor, by that time it will be almost three months after the surgery. Then we will evaluate if to remove the syndesmotic pin.

• Posted

Sounds like you hit the classes all at once with 5 days in a row. I think that would hurt most of us even if we didn't have ankle problems. Good for you for being so enthusiastic to get your body back to normal. I thought I heard that there were some PT and movements one is not supposed to do with syndesmotic pins in, but I didn't get one of those, so I am not sure, just thought I would throw that out there. I know Ron had one of those in and could do much more after it was taken out.
    • Posted

Patti, re: pilates. I am retired, so I workout instead of work... Sure, one does not start doing pilates so intensively for the first time after surgery. But if one has been doing it before the surgery, then it cannot hurt. Thanks for your comment.
    • Posted

You will heal quickly doing all that. Good for you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.