10 wks TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had a right TKR 10 wks ago. It has been really good for me. Minimal pain. Good range. My thigh, knee and calf are still swollen. Am returning to work on Friday. Have been really pleased with it, though am not going to win a Miss Lovely Legs Competition any time soon! My left knee suddenly started giving way. Have been doing PT ex for both. X-ray reveals that it is a mess and I need a TKR in that knee now. Am really taken aback by this. Has this happened to anyone else? Not at all sure how my employers are going to take this. And feel apprehensive too at putting such strain on my new knee. Any advice from folks having had bilateral TKR? Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Being 2 1/2+ years post-op, needing #2 down the road, and after reading about 5,000 posts on here, I can give you these thoughts...

• Very few people who have both knees done have the same experience on #2 than they did on #1. Better or worse...rarely the same. So if you do this, do not expect an identical result. You may be lucky and get it but expectations regarding TKRs almost always lead to frustration and disillusionment.
    • Unless the pain in #2 is really, really severe, try putting it off until you have completed the muscle rebuild on #1. This will give you a strong leg to rely on while recovering from #2. The exercise program is critical to fix those atrophied quads, glutes and core.
    • If cortisone injections don't work on #2, ask the doc about SynVisc. It's like "oiling" your knee so the bone-on-bone situation is not painful. I used that stuff very successfully for years. No, it's not a cure but it might be able to buy you enough time to strengthen #1 and "have a leg to stand on".
    • Finally, some of the pain you're experiencing may be caused by other factors. It is very common to change one's gait both before and after a TKR to avoid pain. That usually puts undue pressure on the other leg. Check with a chiropractor about your back and hip alignment. An adjustment or two may be all you need to re-balance your body and alleviate some of the pain.

For more, click my name and then "Discussions" on the right side. Check out the "Other Pain After a TKR" and "Post-TKR Exercising" posts. Hope they help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.