10 wpo after tkr

Posted , 4 users are following.

Clif4

16 hrs ago

Question, I am 9 wpo of left tkr. I am also 43 yo female and by day three was at zero degree flat and 110 degrees, off to a wonderful start. At my four week post op, I graduated from pt had met all my goals just told to keep up with exercises. Here's my question...at this point I feel like I'm at a plateau started out so good now if I try doing anything ankle swells up and gets numb. The pain in foot ankle and shin get pretty bad especially at night. Also, my thigh burns horribly and dr said was from tourniquet and also, my inner thigh/groin area burn/gnawing pain. Knee feels great, it's all this other stuff. Also, my bp has even been high since I got out of recovery. I am now on to bp meds as well. Does anybody have any advice...I honestly feel like I'm losing my mibd...don't know how nine weeks out and still feel horrible.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

TKR is a very long recovery for most people. Many people in my family have had them, and I'll be on my way there in my future. The burning muscle I would think is just from over use. My dad has TKR and I remember it took him almost a year to get to where he felt "normal." There are many ways to go about PT. His particular theorapast told him your body will heal itself, listen to it. If you do something and it hurts, or your knee swells later, try again in a week or two. TKRs are very traumatic to your body. Hang in, sometimes it's just feels like it takes FOREVER. I doubt your having complications, as they would be very bad by now if you were. However I'm not a dr, so any worry should be seen by someone qualified

• Posted

You also have to remember that your knee takes the least abuse. Because they take it out and replace it with something that isn't alive. The bones, tendons, and soft tissue take a pounding during the surgery, and your body responds to that. 

• Posted

Thank you so much!  Just more frustrating than I thought, with the progression and not knowing if something is normal or not. 
  • Posted

Wow, I was thinking at 3 days how well you were doing!!?? I am 9 weeks out of TKR I am at 110 and 3 flat!😬 I am 64 so I figured that made the difference? But now all your new problems! Sorry, I do have numbness in my 

• Posted

Ankle, and sensitivity in lower leg, I was also told it was from the tourniquet? Good luck I am still in therapy!!
    • Posted

See my doc said some of my pain is from all the manipulation they had to do to my shin to make everything straight again.  I just figured it wouldn't still hurt so bad and some of the pains are so severe I just want to cry. Those pains are new. 

• Posted

I would give it some time. Believe it or not 9 weeks is actually fairly early in recovery for a replacement. The burning is probably nerves.  They can take a year or more to heal. And you may expierence anything from numbness, to tingling, to a horrible burning sensation until they heal. Everyones body reacts differently.  There are less to help with the discomfort until they do, though some people have a hard time dealing with them. (Gabapentin and lyrica are meds my dad tried, but made him feel terrible, the he said they did help the burning.) the reason the tourniquet is blamed for the pain is because even under anesthesia, your body still tries to fight during surgery. Hang in there, you are just one of many who have gone through this pain, but it does subside
    • Posted

Thanks that helped me! I am at 9 weeks. Taking Gabapenten, not too many side effects. 
    • Posted

Glad to hear! I know many people who have full knee, and even hip replacements that don't even know they have them anymore. It's a long road, but worth it in the long run. I've yet to meet anyone 1 year+ that regrets it

• Posted

Thank you!  Actually, was just prescribed gabapentin, this morning.  Doctor said the same thing...the severe burning is nerves and I am doing way too much. I have a house full at the moment and trying to stay up with laundry, dishes, floors(4 grandchildren) why ankle hurts so bad and all the swelling. Also said on top of it I have dermatitis. So, basically off my feet unless I need to go to the restroom for a few days. 
    • Posted

Glad to hear you and doc are in the same page. Hopefully you don't have any nasty side effects from the meds. Some people get off Scott free. Take it easy and have the grand kids tend to you. I'm sure you've spoiled them enough to return the favor lol.

• Posted

I agree with Ray....first and foremost, check in with your surgeon. I've had burning and intermittent shots of pain that come just out of the blue. My tkr surgery was June 13. I did really well and am continuing to heal other than these issues. I was led to believe that the surrounding tissue and nerves are quite traumatized with this surgery and it takes a long time for everything to settle down and completely heal. As long as an entire year! So patience is the key. Check with your doc about any concerns and then continue with exercises, bike, swimming, walking......a little each day and increasing as you feel you can. That's what I've been doing and it does work. Good luck!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.