10 year old

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - Thank you to all of you for your comments made here!

My son was diagnosed with Perthes just before Xmas - we dont know the extent at the moment but I am trying to understand what will lie ahead of us.

I currently have to make a decision whether to work full time or not or remain part time - I am trying to understand whether it would be better to work part-time. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

I am a single mother wanting to do the right thing for my son.

He currently is not using a wheel chair and has been told not to run or jump. He has been swimming but says he's not using his bad leg. He is usually very active!

Such a difficult time and any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I've also have a son with perthes. He got ill when he was 3,5 year old. The diagnostic came very soon. He stopped walking because he had a lot of pain. First the doctors thaught it was temporary but when the pain remains he had a scan and they have told us it was perthes.

I must say as, i have a husband to rely on and that is really a big help. A perthes patient can't go upstairs / downstairs and our bedrooms were upstairs so we had to carry him every evening and morning.

Except for this mather there were the problems at school. The entrance and the classroom at school had to be driveable for his wheel chair. There had to be help mentally. Because it was a huge adjustment for him no longer to be allowed to play football and other sports (like tennis).

My son had, in the first year of Perthes, a lot of pain. He had pain even when he was lying in his bed or sithing in his wheel chair. He didn't sleep well and had often a bad temper. And that while he used to be a shining boy that always was laughing.

Whether you should go work part-time or not is as a single parent very hard to decide. It really depends if your boss is a flexible person who would allow you to make short breaks when necessary. There are a lot of different problems to solve. Big and little problems. When you have other questions you may always contact me.

I hope that your son doesn't suffer too much pain and sorrow.

Sabine (belgium)

• Posted

Hi, my son was diagnosed with Perthes just before his 10th birthday last year, he has had one operation and is going to have another next week. I just wondered how your son is and what did lie ahead for you both.

It would be nice to talk to someone with a similar experience.. Thanks Emma x

• Posted

Hi Emma

How did the second operation go?

Regards

Debbie

• Posted

Hi debbie, tom had his op in april, he is doing really well now and is like a different child. He doesn't wake up iin pain any more and joins in most sports with his friends. He can ride his bike again which he was unable to after his last operation due to pain. I know we still have a long journey ahead of us still, he still walks with a limp which is due to his leg being slightly shorter and because his muscles need to work properly agai but he has physio to help. Thank you for asking. X
  • Posted

Hi there,

I can tell you about the long term effects of Perthes as I had it late at 11 and I am now 43, I have not had a hip operation although I do suffer from Arthritis and stiff hip when I am not active each day.

I walk with a slight limp now although I am quite stocky but I would say from the age of 16 (after I returned to normal) to the age of 38 I was really active, even had a sting in the Territorial Army, I ran a lot, did snowboarding and now cycle a lot.

I know I will need a replacement at some point and it does affect my stance, I am more conscious of it now and the doctor said I have hip cysts in it now but I dont take pain killers.

I reckon that I would reduce my pain if I remain active and lose more weight which is what I am doing, I am pretty much holding out until I need a replacement.

Mentally it does affect you especially if you cant join in with sports at a young age but to be honest the period I mentioned earlier I didn't really notice it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.