10 Year old with Hyperthroidism

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 10 year old has just been diagnosed with this confdition and is due to start on Carbimazole in the next few days. I would be interested to have some communication with a parent of a child in a similar situation. Most people seem to be a bit older (?) She has been having night sweats and auditory hallucinations as well as her heart racing, hands shaking etc and she can't wait for these feelings to go away. Any communication on symptoms/how you got on with the medication/anything I should be careful of/looking out for would be much appreciated as well as any other sites that I should have a look at. She has also been given beta blockers to take at night - anybody else had them?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,sorry to hear your daughter has hyperthyroidism. Firstly it takes around 6 weeks for carbimazole to kick in as, your body has to get rid of excess hormones. your daughter should start to feel better in a couple of weeks but, everyone is different . Thyroid uk is good site to go on. Hope she feels better soon. Take care.Elaine.
  • Posted

Many thanks for your reply - 6 weeks doesn't sound too bad but appreciate that everybody will be different. Got the call from the Doctor tonight to start her on the meds. Have just given her her first tablet and beta blocker and feel like I have just filled her little body up with poisons! Over reaction I know and she could have something much worse wrong with her but it made me feel physically ill. I didn't think I would feel like that but I was dreading bed time and having to give them to her. I think its different if you are an adult because you make your own decisions but as a parent you obvioulsy have to make decisions for a child and try to make the right ones. Not that there were any real choices to be had in this one - don't think I will sleep much tonight!
  • Posted

Hi, Hope your night wasn`t too bad. Forgot to say once your daughters levels come down she will be taken off beta blockers as these are only short term until carbimazole kicks in. It must be so hard for you having to deal with this its bad enough for us adults but, like you said it could have been a wors illness. She will get better it will just take time. Has your daughter got graves or is she just hyper? Well take care. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine. She has been diagnosed with Graves and Doc says unlikely that she will get remission. (I think cos she got it so young?) I will make sure that she is given the chance tho as I am sure the hosp will before any other decisions are taken. Doc already talking generally about the operation so I think this is where they think she will be heading. I am not sure how long she will stay on the Carbimazole for?

Survived the first night although beta bloker appeared to have little impact anyway as she was up and down all night. I can't remember the last time that either of us had a full nights sleep. May be another 6 weeks to wait! Fingers crossed.

Have to say that I am more relaxed today as she had no immediate side effects. Not sure what I was expecting but given that she has only ever had calpol, this was a big step! I think I though that she would have some massive allergic reaction during the night or something! Bit alarmed about some of the side effects of the drug but will just have to take it day by day I suppose.

Many thanks for your responses.

Marie

• Posted

Hi Marie, Beta blockers usually take a few days to kick in.You are usually on carbimazole for about 18 months but, it depends on the severity of the symptoms. I`ve been on carbimazole for approx 12 months but, im having rai in around 3 months as they can`t control my thyroid( i also have graves)& unfortunatly no matter what they do for your thyroid you still have graves.Hopefully in a few days your daughters meds will have kicked in & you will both get some sleep. Take care. Elaine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.