10 years and now a bp drop

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 40 years old and have been on blood pressure meds for 10 years. Both of my parents have always had high bp, so we just assumed it was hereditary . I'm not overweight, i haven't smoked in 5 years, i lead a fairly healthy lifestyle, but i've always struggled with high blood pressure. Several months ago i noticed i wasn't feeling "right" and started monitoring it more closely. It had dropped significatly. Like before meds my pressure ran about 160/85. With meds it was normally about 130/80. Now all of the sudden it's running about 105/60. I've come off my meds and it's holding at that number. i've made zero changes in my life. I've not lost weight. I exercise. Run 2 miles a day, lift weights and do yoga, but i've always done those things. Literally nothing has changed. The doctors have no idea what has caused the change. Anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've had periods when my BP dropped and I cut back the meds.

After a few weeks or months, it tends to drift back up and I restart the meds.

It can also be affected by minor changes in diet, some foods are natural BP meds, and some foods and combinations can be habitual and a source of high BP.

You might watch your diet carefully, if you can analyze anything that changed recently - or if you see your BP drift back up!

• Posted

JX is correct in that the drop could well be diet driven. Not knowing the reason for your previous high BP, but if you have been on a low salt and higher potassium diet, your BP may well drop. The idea of focusing on diet for hypertension is so that minimum drugs are needed.

Paul

• Posted

Conns...I wasn't aware that a higher potassium diet would cause bp to lower. One must be careful though, not to overdo. High potassium levels can be dangerous as you might know.

• Posted

Mike,

Many people tend to have higher salt diets so keeping your potassium levels in the right range helps to mitigate the hypertensive sodium intake. It's easy to hit your salt daily recommendation but potassium is set at 4700 mg per day. For fun note down what and how much you eat in one day, then check nutritional data by looking at SELF Nutrition website. You might surprise yourself as to what you are exceed in and what is low.

Paul

• Posted

I was diagnosed with HBP when I was 18, 29 now, there are periods of time when I didn't need meds but mostly because of lifestyle changes but I've noticed that sometimes my bp drops for a few days without any changes, doctors think is related to my stress level and emotional health.

• Posted

That's just it, i've made no changes. Diet of otherwise. It's baffling to me.

• Posted

melissa69855...as I mentioned in a previous post..if your doctor(s) aren't worried about it, neither should you. By all means keep an eye on things..that's for sure.

If you start stressing/worrying about it, the numbers will go up. This isn't what you want. I'm sure there are lots of us out there who envy your situation.

Enjoy life...laugh...We're here for a very short time.

• Posted

melissa69855...Yes, you surely are experiencing lower blood pressure readings. This is a good thing. You're exercising, & exercise is known to lower bp. You said that you came off your meds...but I certainly hope you did this with your Dr. knowing about it. All too often people take it upon themselves to increase or decrease their meds, & wind up in bigger trouble than they had. Never, would I encourage anyone to stop taking meds or to adjust them without Dr. permission.

You stated the doctors have no idea what caused the change. I would take from that statement that they're not worried about it. If this is the case, then neither should you be worried about it.

For sure, keep an eye on things, & if the numbers continue to drop, consult your doctor. In the meantime, I'm sure a lot of people envy the lowering of your bp.

Please let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.