10 years on Venlifaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I take 150mg a day and 75mg at night and have done for 10 years or so. In the last few months, I've started to feel anxious even scared. I sweat like a pig, I'm always tired, sometimes sleeping for15/16 hours at a time. I'm apathetic and feel quite emotional at times. Is it possible my body is getting immune to the drug. Please help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Darren,

Yes, this drug has what they call a "poop-out" effect after a certain duration it will no longer work as it did when originally prescribed. Your body acclimates to it, or something. I was on it for 15 years.  Some options are: Go to a higher dosage (I think the max that most GPs will prescribe is 300mg),  add another antidepressant to work in concert with Venlafaxine, wean off Ven and transition to another drug, or wean off everything.  I also had lethargy and gained about 30lbs while taking. I eventually weaned off entirely.  It might be best to discuss with whichever doctor has been prescribing this for your symptoms.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I have made an appointment with the quack, hopefully we can sort it.

Darren

• Posted

Hi daren2704 I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so dreadful, it is an awful medication, and I've never read so much over the past good few months on this antidepressant than any other, bless you.

Unfortunately I had all of the same 'side effects' as you and side-effects is exactly what you are going through not immune I'm afraid.

I was on to begin with 150mg of Venlafaxine last year and I've managed to taper down to just under 37.5mg it's been a road of hell, and I'm not going to lie to you but weaning of the lowest dose is the hardest part ok.

I was at the start of my journey on this hellish drug sweating like hell, literally buckets of sweat, I then began to notice a change in my sleep pattern to which I was setting my alarm for i.e 9:30-10am I'd try and sit up but nope I'd keep snoozing the frigging alarm and sleeping right over till 1pm sometimes even later ! It's dreadful I'm still the same with the sleep I'm just like no 'i can't handle today waking up, maybe in another 5hrs time'. I'd suggest to start tapering yourself slowly.

Kind regards  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.