100% successful remeron withdrawal!

Posted , 15 users are following.

This is for everyone wondering about Remeron withdrawal. First off let me say stop with all these horror stories giving people false hope! I was one of them! I have withdrawal from 7 medications since August of last year, Zyprexa, Depakote, propranolol, Seroquel, Valium, Remeron, and Lamictal. I did all these myself and help of my faith, but back to remeron. I was on 15mg of Remeron for 11 years. Now it was much easier than I expected, but did have trouble with nausea, loss of appetite, insomnia, and anxiety. Now I cut the 15 to 7.5 for 2 weeks, for 5 days I had heightened anxiety, and for 2 weeks insomnia, and nausea. Now the nausea, and insomnia were easy. Zofran once a day, and Phenergan to sleep with melatonin. I’m also prescribed Klonopin so anxiety wasn’t much a problem. The best thing to do to beat insomnia, because it has been 2 months and I still kinda have it but take Benadryl at bedtime with gabapentin and melatonin. But don’t replace Remeron with another sleeping pill. Get off it with melatonin and Benadryl, and exercise. I’m only on 300mg of gabapentin, and that’s my next drug to taper off of, and I have found a way to get off that with no withdrawals. But that’s for another post. So do not listen to these stupid horror stories, I have gad, and I came off it smoothly, but you will need medication for nausea, and nothing better than Phenergan for night and Zofran for the day. I promise you, it was simple and I was on it for 11 years,2 weeks on 7.5 then jumped off. Do this on easy weeks. It’s not bad smile

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You should consider that every patient seeking help and advice here is genetically unique and everyone’s experiences will be different when taking mirtazapine.    I am pleased to read that you have a positive outlook and wish to share that but do not dismiss other patients experiences as horror stories.  For many the horror lies in being left to withdraw/stop without medical support from their GPs.  If the medical profession admitted the very real addiction of these ADs and how very difficult it is to taper and stop I’m quite convinced there would be less of the “horror stories” and more positive outcomes.  Gabapentin is not a substitute for sleeping pills and 300mg is a very strong dose with considerable withdrawal factors.  I have experienced both Prozac and remeron/mirtazapine and in my experience Prozac was by far the easier drug to withdraw from.
  • Posted

Another thing to bear in mind especially for other people reading your post is: the fact that you need to take many other drugs to “successfully” withdraw from one is very  concerning for others attempting to stop.
  • Posted

I have sympathy, and compassion for those struggling to get off this drug, and yes all our bodies are different, yes. But for months I was scared to come off this drug, because of all the months I read negative things, and horrible things, can these things happen? Yes without proper knowledge and a plan that fits you. I thank God everyday for helping me get this far. Listen to your body, take anti nausea meds like zofran for the day and phernergan at night to help sleep. I was done within a month. But I’m giving hope not hopelessness, have faith in yourself and take the motivation and courage to make it happen, and do not believe all those horror stories on the internet, because you can find anything I mean anything on the internet. This will be my last post, I will not argue. If you need help please message me and I’ll give you some good advice, not false hope or horror stories. God bless 
    • Posted

KMJ

Your advice is solely based on your single experience whereas my 3 years of research is based on thousand upon thousands of people’s stories who lives and families were destroyed by this drug; as well as studying at credible medical sites. 

You might want to look it up, but this is the one and only drug Robin Williams was on when he took his life. In a recent interview Whoopi Goldberg, a great friend of Robin’s, said the drug Robin was on was not serving him well but instead worsening him before he took his life.

Your advice could be very dangerous if someone followed it. Please re-think your stance on advising people how to discontinue mirtazapine. there is no magic cure for mirtazapine withdrawal or discontinuance, unforunately.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi kmj523,

i am very happy to hear that you had success withdrawing from Mirtazapine. I am still struggling.....

i weaned over a 5 month period, 30, 22.5,15,11.25,7.5,3.75 and finally 1.87mg. I had no withdrawl symptoms during this process but one week following the last dose I became very dizzy with headache and nausea. It has now been 5 weeks since my last dose and I have no improvement at all. 

I do not take any other medications except serc for the dizziness,  gravol for nausea, and ibuprofen for headache. Not really working but I have to feel like I am doing something. 

I have not had any resurgence of my anxiety or insomnia which is surprising to me. Every day I hope that it is the last day but no luck yet.

• Posted

Hmmmm well the dizziness could be anxiety, how is your stress level? This could cause headaches, you were on a high dose, but insomnia is something I’m still dealing with, don’t reinstate, you have came to far, are you taking anything for the nausea?
  • Posted

Kmj congrats on coming off mirtazapine. You seem to be doing well. I wouldnt dissmiss what Jo.r is saying though. She has more knowledge than most of us on this drug.

If I were you I would be aiming to get off the rest of your meds first before writing a success story. Delayed withdrawal of mirtazapine can happen and more so if there are other meds masking it.

I was taking mirtazapine for 6 months and did a similar taper to yours. I suffered bigtime. Im young though and ive been training alot and eating well to keep the anxiety at bay.

My adice would be, come back in a year and offer advice, when you are med free. Im totally med free now and it feels invigorating. I have not written my success story though as im still healing. I wish you luck on tapering the rest of your meds!

• Posted

100% successful remeron withdrawal 
  • Posted

Please if anyone needs help with any withdrawals from the drugs in my original post, please message me, I will be glad to help. I am now leaving this forum my advice is legit and made it possible. God bless 
    • Posted

hi im having terrible trouble with the nausea and dizziness my doctor gave me serc 16 mg 3 times a day and stemetil 5 mg 3 times a day oh my god its not helping im two weeks off the drug i couldn't go into work all week because of the vomiting please is there anything i could take to stop the nausea .i have no anxiety im reading paul mc kenna book i can make you sleep so im ok with the sleep seems to be helping but i cant cope with the headaches and dizziness and sick stomach feels like when i was pregnant morning sickness yuk help x

• Posted

i am sorry you are having this experience, i went through the same thing last summer. I took: serc, gravol, acetaminophen and or ibuprofen. all with limited effect. I remember that the worse lasted about 4 weeks, and once it started to subside , the lingering effects were another month or so. I took mirt. for 10 yrs, so my experience was probably made worse due to the length of time I was taking it.

hopefully you will come through this stage soon.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was on Remeron at 7.5mg off/on for about a year but more consistently for the past 3 months. I did 3.75 for about 2 weeks then stopped. I'm experiencing strong nausea/flu like feelings and some times stomach cramps/pain.

I keep thinking I should go back on it maybe at 2mg for a couple of weeks then 1mg but I've already been off for 4 days so... I'd rather not go back on it.

I take tryptophan for boosting serotonin and pharmagaba for boosting gaba. I seem to be keeping the anxiety at bay although there's some minor flashes of anxiousness that come and go. Anyway I just worry symptoms will increase as the days go on. Some people say after a couple of weeks the symptoms of withdrawal get worse? So I fear what

might be ahead if anything.

I do have some Zofran but never used it. Is it fairly side effect free? I have Atarax I could try for sleep but also have Benydral and Unisom.

Soccer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.