10cm cyst then a 5cm cyst?

Posted , 4 users are following.

In March I had a scan in a local community clinic (not the hospital) which found a 10cm cyst on my left ovary. During this time I was put through a lot of stress as I was told my phone call I was being sent for a blood test to rule out cancer (this was from a local doctory but not my own doctor). Thankfully the blood tests came back clear but I was referred to a gynecologist as the cyst was so big. A month later when I had my appointment with the gynecologist I was rescanned at was found to only have a 4-5cm cyst. My gynecologist was unsure as to how it was established I had a 10cm cyst as he said it would not shrink in that amount of time. He was unable to see the previous scan that I had because where I had my last scan they were unable to forward him the scan. (He told me it was a cheap was of scanning me and I should not be scanned there in future)  I have since managed to send him the scan and I am awaiting his response on my first scan from March. He told me when I had my last appointment that there was nothing to worry about and it was just a normal cyst but I will be rescanned in 4 month’s time. Does anybody think there is something for me to worry about? Still feeling pretty anxious about the whole situation as I have been put through a lot of stress over this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I totally understand the anxiety

If you are young enough to still be having periods and your cyst is under 5cm and your CA125 (the blood test for ovarian cancer) is normal you are seen as "low risk" so they will just monitor you and hopefully the cyst will subside by itself. I think larger normal cysts are relatively common in young(er) women.  

If you are unsymptomatic it will still be a worry, I understand, it was for me too but it will just sit at the back of your mind until your next scan. I hope that goes well and the cyst disappears.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Still waiting to hear form consultant as I have sent him original scan. He assured me there was nothing to worry about but I am still experience some pain but what I don't understand is the pain is on the lower right hand side on my abdomen but the cyst is in the left hand side and I experience no pain there which is pretty confusing rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi please don't worry. I had ultrasound scan which showed a cyst on left ovary the size of a fist. My Dr called me at work about an hour after I'd had the scan and said they think it's possibly cancer! I literally fell on the floor and was in a right state. All turned out to be just a large cyst (had ct scan). Had ovary removed and now all fine. Just push for your tests, maybe see another consultant. X
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I can imagine what you would have been going through at that time aswell. Still waiting to hear form consultant as i have sent him original scan that he was unable to view previously . He assured me there was nothing to worry about but I am still experience some pain but what I don't understand is the pain is on the lower right hand side on my abdomen but the cyst is in the left hand side and I experience no pain there which is pretty confusing rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.