10mg citalopram for anxiety too scared to take it

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi

I've been prescribed 10mg citalopram for anxiety, I have lived with anxiety for 3 years now and have tried coping mechanisms tried CBT tried just dealing with it by myself and it's all just too much now , it's got worse and worse and I don't feel like myself anymore, I constantly worry something will happen to me I have panic attacks taking my daughter to school I feel like I can't swallow properly and feel as tho I will choke on food so I'm not eating properly I can't go to town on my own asda and shops scare me it's just a constant on going list so I know it's out of hand I know I NEED to take this medication but I'm so so scared of side effects and how I will feel and feeling worse than I already do now , every day is so draining and I snap at my children I have 4 and my youngest is 1 years old so I need to be okay, I have friends and have spoken to others who have taken this medication and told me there stories and how it's helped them and I just want that for me too it's just the fear of starting , taking the 1st one and on going and how I might feel I just want to feel normal! If anyone could tell.me there experience of starting this tablet and there journey is be so grateful! I need to do it I know I do and that's the problem xx

Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise, I've been taking 20mg for 10 weeks now and I still remember I had the medication sitting there for over a week after being prescribed it before I first took it because I worried myself with the what ifs and the side effects - it's only natural to feel reticent when you read about them and hard not to imagine every single one of them hitting you, but everyone is different and you may get some and not others and different levels of severity but no matter how the side effects come and go, the main effect is the medication's benefit and everyone I've read about and spoken to on this has gone through some side effects but the one consistent is that the medication can help.

I sat for over a week and I remember getting really worked up, worried that I wouldn't be me if I took it, and eventually I just had enough and forced myself to take the step, by that point the pill felt the size of a boulder, I took it, had a drink of water, and braced myself for all these terrible things I thought would happen in the immediate aftermath.... and nothing, it was such an anti-climax. It's hard not to build something up and worry, but I believe the medication can help and if the side effects lead you to a better place overall, then it's worth it to help you - and you've got everyone on here who can empathise and support if side effects do come. 

Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi will71188 thank you so much for replying! Thus is the point I'm at now I'm working myself up everyday I wake up with good.intentions to take it then talk myself out of it but it's the same every day and I'm dizzy every day aswell now and that's without taking a tablet so I'm so worried it will be worse when I do and I won't be myself but I'm at a point now where I've had enough and need to do it x

• Posted

Yeah I know exactly where you're coming from, was a big worry for me as well, that it would somehow change me in a bad way and I wouldn't be myself, but that's not been the case, and it's definitely felt like it's been helping and the side effects are becoming less intrusive and common, it's not the easiest of journeys but if it can get you to a point where you actually feel more like your old self and less like you're not going to be you, it's definitely worth it to take the step.

Have you started them or are you still debating it? As I say when I first eventually got to taking it, it was a complete anti-climax getting over the hurdle and I'm sure that will be the main thing you take away too

• Posted

Hi Louise, I’m sorry to hear your in a bad place right now.....I was just like you, I lost somebody very very close to me  & I too was very nervous about taking a tablet, but in the end I had to, I couldn’t even go home to my family, walk in the door, so for me i had to. I just thought to myself It cannot get any worse than it is right now!  After about 4-6 weeks I turned the corner, I had a massive problem with myself being on medication.......but you realise that every now & then you need a hand with life. Please don’t worry, help is out there & talking about it helps SO MUCH!

It’s a clique I know but you are not alone Louise, don’t be to hard on yourself, you will repair & get back to your old self 

I’ve been on citalopram for 4 years & am now weaning myself off them, I’m on 5 mg at min

Take care of you.   rob

• Posted

There are over 40million people on ssris world wide...so don't worry...and the majority of the people are woman...

• Posted

It cant be worse than what you re experiencing now x Yes there are side effects but they get better and u will staet to feel.normal again x U will get through it honestly with the help.of the meds staet taking them now
  • Posted

Hello Louise. I’ve been on citlopram 20mg for 2 years now. It’s a miracle drug for me. When I was first prescribed the 10 mg, I was so afraid of taking it. I had a panic attack the very moment after I swallowed the first pill. I was afraid of side effects. If you go on my profile you can see my past posts of how bad my anxiety was. I will forever be on this medication. Never want to go back to how I once was with dreaded anxiety. 
  • Posted

Hi Louise . I’m 7 days in on 10mg .  I was the same . I was terrified to take them . Honestly in my experience the side effects are weird but as I was expecting them I could tell myself “it’s only the tablets” not  the anxiety .  I was anxious about being anxious if that makes sense .  But already the effects are  going and I’m feel less anxious I’m not sure if they’re working already or it’s just a coincidence .  I was a bit shaky to start with but that’s already gone . Only thing now is that I’m tired .  Kids have noticed already I didn’t even have to cancel the dentist today which I normally do!   It’s early days but so far I’m sure I made right decision .  If you get any weird feelings just keep telling yourself it will pass .  It did for me . Take care 
  • Posted

On week 2 of 10 mg. I psyched myself out reading about side effects at first to. No worries now. I take them before bed and am sleeping way better. Less anxious and just feel normal. Don't be afraid.

• Posted

Hi Louise, i understand how you feel, i was worried about taking medication, but it really helped me and gave me a buffer to be able to cope with everything. Initially it made me really tired for first couple of weeks and then i felt much better and happier. Good luck! X
  • Posted

Hi! I have suffered from anxiety and depression for years. I have breathed, prayed and drank threw it. So hard raising my kids years ago but recently, having a hard time getting through so for the first time in my life I decided to try an antidepressant. My doc is wonderful. Started with Sertralune but.. Always seemed to stop working when dise was increased. Last week started Citalopram. I feel better than I ever have. Right now life is so tough but this really seems to be helping. No side effects so far. Give it a try, it may be an answer for you. Good luck! You are not alone.
  • Posted

I took my first tablet at 1030 this morning, I felt really jittery and panicky but I think it was the realisation at what I had just done after putting it off so long ! Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement !! I will post here how I get on over the next few days / weeks xx
  • Posted

Hi Louise, like lots of people here I’ve been put back on cit 10mg for depression and anxiety. I’ve been on 40mg in the past and they are honestly life savers.

At first you may feel more anxious and down. I’ve had some very bad days this week (I’m on day 5) worse than last week even, but from experience I know this is just the start. The first week is always the hardest. I’ll be honest it usually slaps me in my face at first. Puts me in bed for a week or 2. Lack of appetite, dry mouth, some depressive thoughts BUT the bounce back is 100x greater than you’ll ever imagine and you’ll forget that the first couple weeks were hard. Youll be happy, relaxed.. outgoing. You’ll feel sexy and confident again. We are on a journey to getting our lives back on track. Keep going, it’s definitely worth it in the end. Xx 

• Posted

Hi every one, thank you so much for all of your replys, I am on day 4 today taking it in the morning everyday and I haven't noticed any side effects up until this point I've felt good , I've felt I've got more space in my head and alot less pressure but today I've had a huge panic attack out of nowhere and I feel back where I started thinking all kinds of things: ( xxx

• Posted

Unfortunately that's how it is..If you can ask your doctor for a short term diazapam..it will really help you...take care

• Posted

Louise,

Unfortunately it seems like for a lot of people this is part of the process of the recovery. For every few improvements or steps forward we make we will have setback to work through. As hard as it may seem try to be patient with yourself and try to focus on the positives that have occurred. It is so easy to focus and ruminate on the negative and get stuck in a cycle of worry in your mind so you have to really work hard at staying positive.

• Posted

I see what your saying Mathew ..but sometimes the anxiety is so physical that people loose hope..sometimes the anxietys hit the mental side..and other times the anxiety's hit you physically..they are both bad ..when the anxiety hit me it was physically ..I didn't have mental anxiety if that makes any sense...

• Posted

That makes absolute sense, mine started out with physical symptoms and I started only focusing on them and worrying when they were going to hit again and this is when it became a mental issue for me. There are times that I feel fine but I'll get myself so caught up worrying about how I feel or when the next wave is coming that I dont actually notice that moment of feeling ok. I am hoping that CBT helps me with this as it seems to be just constant negativity through my mind. The main things is just trying to stay positive and not let my mind run uncontrollably otherwise I do lose hope.

• Posted

So IAM assuming one feeds the other two anxiety's fighting each other...yuck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.